TWENTY-FOUR

Freedom

I directly went straight to kuya Lawrence's office. Hindi ko alintana ang mga nagtatakang tingin ng mga empleyado sa akin kanina sa lobby. Yes, it's pretty obvious that I just cried. I had probably cried enough tears to last me a lifetime. But damn would I care.

Mula sa pagkakayuko ay nag-angat ng tingin si kuya sa akin. He must be surprised with my sudden invasion to his office. "What's wrong?" Mabilis itong tumayo at agad na nilapitan ako. I hugged him and  he went silent as he let me cry on his shoulders.

Minutes later, iginiya ako nito sa pinakamalapit na upuan. He sat me down there at lumuhod ito sa aking gilid, caressing my hair lightly.  "What's wrong, baby girl?" His voice was so soft na mas lalong nagpaiyak sa akin.

"Why does it hurts so much, kuya? Why is everything so complicated? Bakit?" My voice broke.

Bumuntong-hininga ito. His eyebrows furrowed as his eyes turned into slits. "Should I kill the bastard now?"

"Kuya!" I cried in horror as I rolled my eyes at him. "As if you will." Kuya and Chris are pretty close. Kuya Lawrence thinks of Chris as one of his closest friends. He won't harm the man, that I am sure of.

If you want to. I'll find ways, baby girl. I am dead serious. Though, I am not going to kill the man, but probably break a limb or two."

"God kuya, please. You are not taking me seriously." I seriously wanted to punch him on his pretty face. At this state, gusto ko nalang manakit baka sakali mabawasan ang bigat na nararamdaman ko ngayon.

Humugot ito ng malalim na buntong-hininga as he looked at me apologetically. "Okay. So tell me what exactly is happening here? Nag-away kayo? Is it because of the stunt you and the jerk you called a friend pulled at the hotel's lobby yesterday? O dahil sa nangyari sa restaurant kanina? I saw a furious Chris pulling you away from those men."

Yumuko ako at umiling. "It's not because of that. Well, partly. But that's not the real reason why I decided to end our relationship. If you call it a relationship." I looked up to kuya Lawrence, trying to find the truth in his eyes. "You know about his past, right?"

"What about it?" He seemed surprised. He moved and sat beside me but his eyes still fixed on mine. I could see the curiosity on his eyes.

"You know about Rosalie and Echo. Alam kong hindi niya iyon itatago sa inyong magkakaibigan."

"He did mention the kid but never spoke anything about the mother. I reckon he doesn't love her anymore and has no intention of getting back together. I have no idea it will affect your relationship with him, Veronica."

"Apparently, it does. Nahahati ang atensyon niya. And every time he needs to choose between me and them, he will always choose the later. I am always at the losing end. Where would I supposed to place myself, kuya? Am I always the second choice?  Ako nalang ba lagi ang magpapatawad? Ako nalang ba lagi ang pipiliin niyang masaktan? It's all fuck-up! And I am sick of being stuck-up in this kind of situation na walang katiyakan kung may pag-asa ba kaming dalawa! He never cleared that to me in the first place! All he asked if for me to wait for him. I mean, the fuck is that? Hanggang kailan? Hindi ko alam kung hanggang kailan din ang itatagal ng puso ko na lagi na lang nasasaktan tuwing iniiwan niya ako para sa mag-ina niya."

Umiling ito at napasandal sa kinauupuan. "And here I thought nothing can get on your way. I know how hard-headed and stubborn you are, baby girl. You are not the type who will give up easily. And I know you like the man, scratch that, you love him. But now, you have proven me wrong."

Tumigil ako sa paghikbi at matalim ko itong tinignan. "I love him, okay! Pero walang assurance mula sa kanya na mahal din niya ako! Ngayon pa na nahahati na ang damdamin niya dahil sa pagbalik ni Rosalie!"