4 - BABY

"Can I see your gun?" I asked Carl out of boredom. Hershel is in his cell, Rick is with my mom and the others while Lori and Beth went out to get Hershel his crutches.

"Here." Carl hands me his gun and I take it carefully.

I aimed the gun at the wall and pretended to shoot, before smiling and checking it out. Carl's gun is a lot like mine, only mine is silver and his is black. It was one of my dad's guns, I took it after he died. Dad always wanted me to learn how to shoot, so I don't appear to be 'weak' like he sees most women.

That's not the reason why I kept the gun, the reason why I kept it is so that I could protect my mom and Sophia. But I failed in doing that.

I gave Carl his gun back. Lori and Beth soon came back with the crutches and I can see the way Carl's face lits up when Beth smiled at him. I know Carl's little crush about Beth and I would've teased him everyday, but I'm trying to get over that childish state and just grow up.

This world doesn't need childish people, it needs survivors.

Carl and I got up, watching as Hershel gets up from his bed.

"Just take your time." Lori tells him and he doesn't reply.

"Daddy, don't push yourself." Beth worries, helping her dad.

Hershel stands up with the help of both women and his crutches. "What else am I going to do?"

"I can't stand looking up at that bottom of that bunk—" Hershel wobbles and we all frantically tried to keep him steady. The latter steadies himself, before he starts walking with the crutches. "You know, I think I'm pretty steady."

He got out of the room and I smiled. He's doing great and Lori thinks the same. "That's a good start. Wanna take a rest?"

"Rest?" Hershel chuckles. "Let's go for a little stroll."

Carl and I looked at each other before shrugging.

Hershel is doing real great with the crutches, we had a little struggle with him going up the stairs and going down but other than that, he's doing great. I can see my mom with the others except Rick, Glenn and Daryl. They're moving the cars in.

"You've cleared all those bodies out?" Hershel asked. "It's starting to look like a place we could really live in."

As good as that sounds, I don't think I can ever call this prison a home.

"Hey, you watch your step. Last thing we need is you falling." Lori reminds him, but the old man seems to be ignoring her.

"You're doing great, daddy." Beth smiles.

"Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl jokes and I let out a small smile of amusement.

"Give me another day, I'll take you home." I chuckled quietly at Hershel's comment.

Everyone else was watching Hershel doing progress. I caught my mom's eyes and I can see the happiness in her eyes when she saw my smile. I gave her a small smile and nod at her, before she does the same. I may have been pushing everyone away and giving everyone the cold shoulder, but I still love my mom and everyone in my group.