Establishing himself at the Fief

Chapter 6 - Establishing himself at the Fief

Waking up with a blanket and pillow Abyss yawned lazily. It was rare for him to be able to sleep so peacefully. He trusted Doff so he did not mind falling asleep without a worry at his place. After fixing himself up slightly he walked outside. Doff looked at him and sighed saying "Take a shower. There is a private room upstairs with a bathroom. One of the walls is hollow. That place holds a bath. I made it just to relax here but I guess I don't mind lending it to you."

Abyss smelled himself and instantly regretted it. His brows wrinkled as he agreed knowing that if he didn't it would not only burden him but it would also burden Doff. Doff nodded with satisfaction as he said "Leave your clothes outside. We toads have a quick way to do laundry."

Abyss nodded not worrying about this request. He arrived at the top floor and found the shower quickly behind a fake wall. Removing his clothes he left them outside and took a nice bath. He wondered why Doff was being so nice to him. Usually there was no one that would do things for free. He was certain that the money earned through seaweed would not bring big revenue either. Was Doff hiding something from him?

Abyss sighed as he let his thoughts dissipate and he focused on taking a bath. After a nice 30 minutes he finally finished and exited the bath to find his clothes completely clean. Putting them on Abyss walked down to the first floor and sat down on the counter. The place was silent as Doff noticed Abyss was thinking of something.

Abyss was not a person to avoid voicing his thoughts so it only took two minutes before he spoke "Why are you helping me so much?" Doff continued his work by cleaning his glass cups and said calmly as if expecting the question "You are not a bad person. You have good self awareness and don't act arrogantly when in front of those that help you. You clearly also value the favors people do for you. Why would I know help a person like you? You know, maybe one day something terrible will happen. If on a random day I refused to help a stranger that could have help me overcome it then wouldn't it be a tragedy?"

Abyss smiled as he said teasingly "Isn't that a long shot? One in a million that you help someone that would help you back?" Doff laughed as he said "Indeed but why not give it a try? I don't lose much and have much to gain if something does happen even if nothing happens then I could say I made a new friend."

Abyss grinned hearing this as he said "Darn right!" Abyss loved Doff's answer. It was not something that solely focused on using the stranger in the future but actually forming a bond with them. Abyss found this people to be as rare as phoenix feathers in his previous world. Now here there was a toad with that kind of mentality!

Abyss stood up and said "I guess I be back to working. See you soon." Abyss returned to his Fief and began working hard to remove the seaweed. He also took account to the quantity of Meat Scale Fish that Doff planned on giving him. It was enough to keep two people alive without a problem. This was a pretty large quantity considering that it could feed 2 people for their entire life if taken care of well.

Doff though stated that he had several times more causing Abyss to feel curious at how large of a pond he had. Time passed and in half the time Abyss already filled the boxes. He was down to half the quantity compared to the original number.

Abyss continued his work and finished taking out the rest of the seaweed that he wanted. He kept only the quantity recommended for the meat scale fish to eat from allowing them to keep it in check. It was already nearing night time but Abyss made the journeys short as he practically sprinted with grace towards Doff place. This repeated a few times until he finally delivered all of it. Abyss was at this point soaked in sweat causing him to stink quite a bit.

Doff did not mind this as he was surprised at Abyss sudden progress. He expected Abyss to take at least half a week to do this job or worse. Not that he did it in less than two days it left him somewhat shocked. Abyss smiled seeing Doff surprised face. Doff though decided to take revenge as he said "Take a bath you stink!"

Abyss felt a bit embarrassed hearing this. Sure he managed to do the job but now he stinks no better compared to yesterday. Doff laughed seeing Abyss embarrassed expression as he said "Hurry along. I will let you sleep here again."

Abyss laughed as he ran upstairs like a kid given permission to stay at home instead of going to school. Doff only shook his head with a smile as he said "He really is that person that caused havoc for the guard toads. I truly wonder why he did those things. The guard toads said he was trying to cause trouble for no reason but I don't believe it. He clearly has self restrain and control of himself. Who cares though since if no one wants to help him I might as well do it. That kid won't get far without me."

The process repeated itself as Abyss came out dressed nicely. He began wondering what kind of magic toads have to clean clothes so fast. It made no sense. Shaking his head Abyss decided not to impose on asking the secrets of the toads. It was a toad thing. Sighing he wondered where to get more clothes since he seriously had a lack of them. There was also a problem that he had yet to address but he still had to finish what he had on his plate.

Arriving downstairs Abyss asked "So, I left 30 seaweed that should grow to be a few more by tomorrow. I will need around 40 meat scale fish to feed two people so I need to wait another day or so to get place them in right?"

Doff smiled as he said "Yep although you could make it instant by taking some seaweed back. I will get the 40 scale fish transport to you tomorrow. They produce meat scales daily so you don't have to worry of not having food for a day."

Abyss nodded as he said "Alright we have that planned out but now I have a problem." Doff laughed hearing this as he said "Let me guess. You don't have building materials or tools to construct a place for yourselves."

Abyss scratched his head shyly as he said "Sorry for bothering you so much." Doff shook his head and said "No worries I can help you gather the tools but there is a problem. The materials to build are quite special around here. You can say us toads were fortunate to finish building most of our houses before they appeared."

Abyss raised his brow filled with curiosity and asked "Who is they?" Doff face became deadly serious as he said "The Boos. It was long ago since they appeared out of nowhere and took over the forest. Initially they were living beings but now they are ghosts that haunt the forest."

Abyss frowned hearing this as he said "You mean to get building materials I need to travel to the haunted forest right?" Doff bitterly smiled as he said "I fear that is the only way." Abyss laughed as he said "Easy! I'm am invincible in this world. There is nothing that can threaten me."

Abyss began to boast about his abilities but deep inside there was a bit off worry growing but he could not back away. He had to charge forward and gather the wood he needed to build. Doff frowned for once and said "Don't be overconfident even with your supposed great abilities you must be careful. They are able to possess your body."

Abyss smiled lightly at this warning as he said "No worries. I will come back as quick as lightning." Doff sighed as he said "Very well but you better take some food. I heard there is nothing to eat out there anymore." Abyss nodded in appreciation as he head to bed.

Morning came and Doff somehow had 2 barrelsfilled with 20 meat scale fish and a few seaweed plants inside. Abyss tooklittle time to transport it to the pond and return back where Doff gave him afarewell gift in preparation for his journey.