Arrival at the Haunted Forest

Chapter 8 - Arrival at the Haunted Forest

For the next two days Abyss was traveling through the land meeting a few sparse toads here and there. He spoke to some of them and learned that not all toads enjoy living all packed together so they spread through the land. Abyss smiled as he took enjoyment at knowing that there was uniqueness with more Toads than he expected.

After talking with them for a while he took the time to double check the direction he was heading to make sure he was not straying too far from the path. The Toads obliged to tell him but also warned him of the dangers of entering the Haunted Forest. Abyss just shrugged it off telling them that he would be alright.

Finally on the 3rd day he arrived at the forest in the early morning. He smiled as he felt the surroundings become colder compared to what he was becoming used to. Looking around he saw that the haunted forest most likely derived its name from two places. First being the ghosts that happen to live there while the second place was the forest itself.

Looking at the trees he saw that the leaves looked like hands while the branches were hanging awfully close to the ground. If he had to guess he would say they were around 5-7 feet in height all around. This would surely be considered a Forest that no one wants to enter.

Taking a deep breath he sighed as he said with relief "Finally here huh? I guess I just have to journey into this place and find myself a few trees worth cutting."

Abyss did not hesitate to walk into the forest even if the leaves gave me a really uncomfortable feeling as they brushed against his arms, shoulders and head. He though endured it as he tried his best to look passed all the leaves that were blocking his line of sight.

It did not take long before he hit a tree from the lack of vision causing him to feel irritation. Should he solve the matter by burning down all the trees in the area? Also, why was it so dark? He looked up to notice that the sky was cloudy. This would have been strange or just a coincidence that it might rain but what made it odd was that it did not cover the area where he came from.

Abyss groaned as he said "This really is a haunted forest. It looks like there are dark clouds always covering this forest." Abyss shook his head wondering what he should do. Thinking about it he never met a Boo before and maybe he shouldn't since everyone appeared to be scared of them.

Abyss though felt that this was challenging his bravery. He grinned mischievously as he said "So what if they say they would possess me. I'm more than sure I be fine." So he decided that instant. He had a clear goal in mind. Find the Boos and hopefully they who lived in the forest for so long had some spare wood and wagon to lend him.

Doff wanted to lend him his wagon but Abyss adamantly refused as he worried that he might destroy it or lose it. So he came to the haunted forest without having a wagon to transport the wood.

Abyss laughed as he began running forward ignoring the leaves and branches rubbing against his body. Abyss continued running until he tired out. His smile though remained on his face as bright as day. He noticed that he was getting closer. It was not an instinctual kind of knowing but the surroundings were beginning to give more of a haunted feeling. Plus the clouds were growing denser causing the lighting to lower.

Abyss continued running for 3 hours until he heard the sound of laughter. Abyss instantly slowed down as looked around wondering if instead of finding a Boo they found him. This though ended up as false as it appeared the voice was quite distant and was not directed at him.

Abyss he was curious as to why someone or Boo was doing began approaching the place where the sound came from. It did not take long before he reached the place. Looking at the scene he was utterly disgusted. There was not many things that could force him to feel like that. This though did.

There was a Boo lying on the ground unmoving as a group of Boos laughed. The one in the head said "Good luck next time mister 'architect.'" Abyss he noticed something from this words saw a small pile of wood scattered in pieces. This was out of place due to the ground only being covered by leaves up to this point. He might have been running but he paid attention to his surroundings to avoid getting lost in the future.

Abyss heart began to rage as his mind worked quickly to think of a way to mess with this pitiful Boos that dared to do such disgusting things in his presence. A idea quickly appeared but it was risky and really troublesome. Looking at that disgusting smile of satisfaction in the floating Boos faces he decided to do it.

Sitting down he concentrated in bringing out his energy and even if he was the favored child of the author he still needed 10 seconds to do so. Nonetheless the great power that doing so brought was worth the bother.

Sadly the Boos were already finishing their small activity "Lets go guys haha. This fellow doesn't have anything worth destroying anymore." Abyss felt upset not being able to react faster but continued concentrating in his energy. Within 5 seconds they already traveled around 12 feet away.

Abyss felt lucky as the energy in his body escaped at this moment heading towards the surrounding trees. The mischievous smile appeared on his face as he whispered "Want to destroy things? I don't mind destroying your reality."

At this moment all the trees shook as if foreshadowing the events that were about to occur. The Boos themselves froze up as they felt that something was not right. If they were still living they would feel cold sweat on their backs. It was at this moment the trees began bending while the leaf stretched towards them. Shocked they instantly attempted to escape while trying to phase through the trees and ground. Sadly Abyss was prepared for this as the instant they tried that they all slammed against what they planned to phase through.

Ghost usually could phase through most things but there was something they could not exactly phase through with ease. That is matter filled with energy. When facing an ordinary object the Boos would be able to phase through it without trouble as their body made of energy would not be affected by it. They could also solidify their existence to touch objects. Sadly they felt to realize that if energy itself was around in large quantities then it will act as something physical for them.

Abyss used this to his advantage to block their escape. Once they realized that they could not phase through things it was too late. Abyss moved the branches and trees to bend over and attempt to grasp them. This could be slightly scary but considering that there were thousands of leaves that looked like hands reaching out for you made it terrifying.

They screamed in fear as Abyss forced the energy in the trees that was grasping the Boos to split causing the tree trunk itself to split open into what looked like a large mouth. The Boos struggled more violently seeing this as Abyss began to 'feed' the tree.

One ghost, two ghosts and the final 3rd ghost that was cruel enough to try and ruin someone dreams. Abyss grinned as he said "I hope you have a nice flight. All the other trees stopped moving as the one tree holding the Boos inside its opening bended backwards until the tip of its top touched the ground.

Finally he released the control of the energy all around the tree while slowly dissipating the energy that trapped the Boos.The result was glorious as the tree which returned to almost normal flicked the ghosts out into the distance.