༻ 24, Jericho ༺

ROSE'S POV

The seconds have became minutes, the minutes have became hours and the hours have became days... As the time went by, I got more and more energy back, but the unpleasant pain wasn't fading away quickly. I was standing in front of the huge mirror of my room and gently touching the wound which was covered with gauze, the sun was shining through the curtains. Almost two weeks have passed since I got shot in the Stratford Tower, but even now I couldn't forget the fear I felt on that day. Of course, the scar on my chest will be visible even after years, but I didn't mind, since it reminds me of how fragile the human life is. Furthermore, it wasn't the first scar I had on my body... I carefully pulled the zipper of my brown plush hoodie up, adjusted my messy bun, then finally I went downstairs.

"Good morning, Rose!" Connor greeted me as he placed my breakfast on the dining table, then wrapped his protective arms around my waist and planted a soft kiss on my lips. My Saturday morning was perfect...

"Morning, Connor!" I replied with a smile, then started eating the fresh blueberry pancakes which was served with a mug of vanilla cappuccino. "Hey, um... What was the word you saw in the PL600's memory?" I asked him, looking at the dogs who were playing on the rug.

"Jericho..." he answered, then sat down in front of me at the other end of the dining table.

"And it was painted on a rusty metal. Right?" in response Connor just nodded, but then I noticed that his LED went amber color for a moment. "Something happened?"

"I just got a report of a suspected deviant."

"Aaaaand shouldn't you go?" I asked him curiously as I continued eating.

"I'll let you finish your breakfast, then I'm going to leave." he replied calmly. Meanwhile, I was still thinking about what happened in the Stratford Tower when suddenly the ringing of my phone pulled me back into reality.

"Ah, I dare to bet that it's Hank..." I muttered as I placed my phone on the dining table, then put it on speaker and answered the call. "Hey, Hank!"

"Hey, kid! How do you feel?" the question came from my uncle.

"As if I'm high on a ton of red ice..." I replied with a chuckle at the end. "Listen, Hank... Umm... I know you won't be happy to hear this, but a new report has arrived, so soon Connor will pick you up with my Ranger." I informed him, but there was no response from the other end of the line. "Hank~... HANK!"

"Okay, I got it..." he murmured, then let out a very deep sigh. "Just tell him not to break the kitchen window like last time!"

"Then I advise you to leave all the windows open..." I joked, then ended the call. After about half an hour I finished my breakfast which unfortunately also meant Connor's departure. "Take care of yourself! All right?"

"Everything will be fine, Rose. Do not worry about me!" his answer came with a soft smile, then after a quick farewell and a tiny kiss I was watching as left the house. As soon as the Ranger left the driveway I hurried to the bedroom, picked up my camera from the nightstand and started searching between my old photos. 'Argh, where is it?' It took minutes, but finally I found the photo I was looking for. I made that one in the old harbor of Detroit which has been a abandoned ship cemetery in the Ferndale district for years. It was depicting a huge rusty freighter in the sunset and there was a word painted on its shabby surface. 'Jericho...' Suddenly all the pieces of the puzzle came together... I was almost certain that this abandoned ship on the photo was the deviants' hiding place, and if my conjecture was right, then Markus also should be there. I had to go there... I knew that I had only a few hours until Connor's return, so I had to hurry. I opened my wardrobe and immediately took my well-known roses-covered dress. Although, I couldn't clean the blood out from the other one, but fortunately I had two more of it, since I loved this dress so much. And my leather jacket wasn't damaged, so I didn't have to worry about it either. I quickly got dressed, picked up my jewelry, made my makeup and brushed my long hair, then finally I went back to the living room. Before I left the house I had one more thing to do, but as soon as I finished I left the Lafayette Avenue with my backpack in my hand...