༻ 40, Moment of truth ༺

3rd PERSON'S POV

The pure snow continued falling in large flakes in Detroit. The whole world was watching the Woodward Avenue where the people of Jericho were marching for the last time. This is it... The last night of the revolution...

"Here we are... The moment of truth..." Markus said as soon as they reached the outside recall center N°5 near the Hart Plaza. The are was full of the soldiers of the U.S. Army, armored fighting vehicles and helicopters. Meanwhile, the camp was illuminated by the spotlights.

"Surrender immediately or we will open fire!" the army warned their enemy through a megaphone. The marching stopped and the leader of the deviants spoke up in a loud voice.

"Our people have risen up to claim their freedom! If you want to stop us, you'll have to kill us!"

"I repeat, surrender now or we will open fire!" one of the soldiers repeated, but the people of Jericho had no intention of giving up the fight.

"There's no turning back now..." Markus whispered, then spoke up again. "We ask that you release all androids detained in camps and cease all aggression against us! We are peaceful! We will not resort to violence!" meanwhile, there were plenty of journalists and photographers beyond the fence and the reporter of Channel 16 also was there, so the whole world could see what was happening in Detroit. "But we are not leaving until our people are free!"

"FIRE!" the command arrived and with that the soldiers opened fire and shot into the crowd. The loud gunshots were echoing all over the city. Although, some of the androids got killed, the people of Jericho didn't retreat. The deviants continued walking toward the camp with slow steps, but then the soldiers opened fire again. Finally, the marching stopped... This time Markus didn't say anything, instead he sat down on the freshly fallen snow. North and Josh also sat down and finally the people of Jericho did the same.

"Are you gonna open fire on unarmed protestors?!" the leader of the deviants spoke up again, but this time there was no response. Seconds later Markus looked at the reporters and the journalists who were recording every moment of the revolution. The deviants knew that the whole world was watching them...

"All teams hold your fire!" the command arrived through the megaphone. Of course, this didn't mean the revolution was over, but the androids gained some time.

"Markus, what do we do now?" North asked him.

"We hold out... As long as we can..." and with that the deviants started to build a barricade around themselves. They used everything they found. Benches, pallets, tires, barrels, containers and car wrecks as well. Soon they reinforced their barricade. The deviants were in the middle of it, waiting for the justice. Markus was standing on top of one of the car wrecks as he looked back at the reporters. "There are some journalists over there... We have to make sure they know what's going on!" Markus stated as he burned hologram words above the barricade with a tool used in Capitol Park, so the reporters and the journalists could clearly see it.

"I know it was not an easy decision to make, but I'm sure we're doing the right thing!" Josh said with a sincere smile, while Markus set a fire in a barrel in the middle of the barricade. "What are we gonna do if they attack?"

"Resist... That's the only thing we can do..." and with that the leader of the deviants planted their flag, then looked at the soldiers

"Do you think Connor has any chance of making it?"

"I don't know... We can only count on ourselves now..." Markus answered, then joined North who was watching her people inside the barricade. "They're getting into position. If they attack, no one will survive... Did I make the right choices? Maybe we could have avoided all of this..."