2 장

CHAPTER TWO

'SMILE,' Lisa reminded herself that she should be happy or at least look happy, but she didn't imagine it would be this hard.

"Lisa, this is my fiancé, Kai," the man beside Jennie smiled at her and she smiled back.

It was a gloomy monday afternoon and they were in a restaurant, she finally agreed to meet the lucky person who will marry Jennie.

Jennie then looked at her fiancé. "Kai, this is my best friend, Lisa."

"I'm happy to finally meet you," the man said.

"Same here," she answered.

"Let's get something to eat, shall we?" Kai suggested and she just nodded. Lisa then diverted her attention to the menu when she saw Jennie leaning her head towards Kai, she doesn't want to watch the two of them get all lovey dovey; it was a real eyesore for her. "What do you want Lisa?"

She raised her head and saw the two of them staring at her, Jennie who still has her head on Kai's shoulder waited for her answer.

'I want the person beside you', she thought. "I'll just order-"

"Sushi, babe Lisa here loves japanese foods," she almost rolled her eyes hearing Jennie's endearment for her fiancé.

"Oh really? Me too," Kai said, she sensed the genuine enthusiasm in his voice. "Should we order that then?"

Kai was about to call the waiter when she decided to say something. "But Jennie's not a fan of japanese foods," she avoided their gaze and searched the menu. "I don't see any of your favorites here Nini, what are you going to order?"

"Don't worry about me Li, Kai here will just be the one to order for me."

Kai then looked at Jennie. "You never told me you don't like japanese foods. I thought you like them, is that the reason why you don't look okay when-"

"It's okay-" Jennie was about to explain herself when they noticed someone's phone ringing, they realised it was Kai's. He hurriedly took his phone out of his coat and excused himself. "I'll just take this call," he said leaving their table.

"Why didn't you tell him you don't like japanese foods?" she asked. "So does this mean everytime you guys go out on a date he never asks you what you want?"

"It's not that," Jennie sighed. "I'm trying to like japanese foods because-'

"Because he likes it," she shook her head. "Jennie just because he likes it doesn't mean you have to, if that person really loves you he'd understand," she noticed Jennie became quiet, she thought she got mad because of what she said but instead saw her staring at her with those soft eyes and appreciative smile. "Nini what I'm just trying to say is you shouldn't change yourself for anyone."

"I know, it's just that I wanted to try and see if I'd ever like japanese foods."

"For months?" she said with a weird look on her face that made Jennie laugh. "Don't you think maybe it's time for you to realize that it's not for you? Nini I've been your best friend for years and have known that only their chocolates and some snacks are what you like, their food just don't go well with your taste bud, accept it."

"Is that why you never took me to any of your favorite japanese restaurants?"

"Why would I if I know you'd never enjoy it," she stared at Jennie. "Jennie there's something I want to tell you-"

"I'm sorry," Kai came back and sat beside Jennie. "Have you guys ordered anything?"

"We haven't ordered anything, we waited for you," Jennie answered. "Why? What is it?"

Lisa noticed Kai looks troubled. "I-uh... I talked to my best friend, it was Do on the phone, I'm sorry but is it okay if I leave you guys? It's just that something-"

"It's fine, you can go," Jennie said.

"Okay, thank you, I-I'm really sorry. Lisa it was nice meeting you," she smiled.

"Say hello to Do for me," Jennie said as Kai stood up and went out of the place.

"He didn't even tell you to take care of yourself and left just like that," Lisa spoke out as she wasn't able to stop herself.

"Lisa, he was just worried about his friend, you have to understand, wouldn't you do the same thing for me?" Jennie said, obviously defending her boyfriend.

"Yeah, whatever, but a proper goodbye wouldn't hurt," she muttered and stood up. "You know what? Let's just get out of this place because I know you wouldn't like the food here and go somewhere else," she offered her hand to her. "What do you say?"

Jennie smiled and took her hand. "Okay."

They went out of the restaurant and stood outside. "So, where'd you wanna go?"

"Hmm..." she stared at Jennie as she placed her hand on her chin and acted like she was thinking.

"Milk Ice cream!" they said in unison and both laughed.

"Let's go get some milk ice cream!" Lisa said.

They were walking hand in hand to the nearest ice cream store when they felt droplets of water on their skin, Lisa's eyes widened when she realised she forgot to bring her umbrella.

"We have to run, it's going to rain soon," she said pulling Jennie with her. Unfortunately, the rain started pouring before they could find some shelter. Lisa stopped and took off her yellow cardigan and placed it on their head. "Let's hurry."

They stopped outside of a clothing store. They were both laughing while they fixed themselves, a few minutes later Lisa leaned her back against the glass wall, she raised her head and with eyes closed, she inhaled the scent of the rain.

"I have something to tell you," she said with her eyes still close. She decided she has to say this, it's now or never. "I've been loving you for years now, Jennie. Not in the way a best friend would love a friend, this is also the reason why I hesitated when you asked me if I wanted to be your maid of honor, I don't want to see you marry someone else because I'm in love with you."

There, she finally said it. She waited for Jennie to say something, minutes passed and she still wasn't saying anything, thinking she might have shocked her with her confession, she decided open her eyes and was surprised when she didn't see her.

That was when she saw Jennie coming out of the clothing shop.

"What did you do in there?" Jennie handed her the paper bag she was holding, she accepted it and took out what was in there, it was a black cardigan.

"Your cardigan got wet because of me so just use that," she answered her.

"I didn't notice you leaving."

"It was because you had your eyes close," Jennie rolled her eyes and looked at the sky. "Oh! The rain finally stopped."

She just smiled and wore the black cardigan; she placed her yellow cardigan in the paper bag.

"Come on, I'm starving, buy me some ice cream now," Jennie said pulling her right arm.

"Ice cream? We just got ourselves drench in the rain and you still want ice cream?" she said with amusement. Jennie pouted and tried to look pitiful, she shook her head. "Okay, okay, but don't blame me if we catch a cold."

Jennie smiled triumphantly and pulled her again while she locked her hand against her arm. "Thank you Lili! You're really the best, that's why you're my best friend."

'Best friend,' Lisa smiled bitterly.