1.1

Chapter 11

A L D R I C

I had handed Elysia a sword, something that could be her most powerful weapon. The logical part of me knew what I did was wrong. She was a witch without weapons; now she would be a witch with weapons. 

I spend hours in the hot bath, debating whether it was too late to take the magic book away from her. But I knew that I would break her heart if I did so. Besides, I had already made a Blood Oath. The more I listened, the more I watched, the more I realized she was really just an inexperienced witch. She didn't know a lot of spells and she certainly didn't know magic well. She wasn't a battlefield witch, the ones that can declare multiple spells at once and set fire to the grounds and air.

But what if giving her that book would turn her into one of those witches? My eyes met the ring; she promised she would never hurt my pack or me. I wouldn't have believed that promise, but I did trust her to take the Blood Oath seriously. 

She knows what it means; if she broke her promise, her soul would be mine to command. I could ask her to kill a legion of witches and she could not resist. I could ask her to jump out of a window and she would not be able to resist.

I sighed. What was done was done. If I get her to trust me, if I get myself to trust her, maybe teaching her magic wouldn't be so bad. I remembered the fire in her eyes when she was angry; it was a waste if she didn't know how to protect herself. More than anything, I wanted to get rid of her. But I wanted to get rid of her in a way that she will stay safe. The only thing worse than having her in my room was having her dead.

I finally rose out of the water and changed into clean clothes. When I stepped back into my bedroom, I watched Elysia elevate one of the vases in my room.

"Look!" She cheered. She was so happy, doing such a simple thing. Her eyes were lit and she was smiling. I wanted to capture the smile in my head, memorize every bit of it, memorize the light in her eyes, the curve of her lips, the rose in her cheeks. She was absolutely beautiful. And I wish I could take her in this very moment in my arms and keep her there. Instead, I shook the visage out of my head. 

She was doing magic; magic was evil. 

I despised her. Why did I allow her to stay here? Just a couple more days until my father leaves, I will leave her. She can take the magic book for all I care. I just wanted her gone. I hated myself for letting her make me feel the way I do. I hated myself for not being strong enough to let her go.

"Did - did I do something wrong?" she asked.

"Yes," I muttered.

She slowly landed the vase down.

"What?" she asked.

"Don't do magic in front of me. Not unless I allow it." I hissed.

Elysia only nodded; it was a small condition and most of the time, I wasn't in my room. I had important matters to get to. She settled everything down and I watched her lie back down on the carpet. I didn't want her to sleep there but for tonight, I was grateful she was. 

I don't think I could sleep in the same bed as her without holding her at least once. I threw an extra blanket down, however, realizing she didn't have one.

"Thank you."

I just wanted to sleep. I finally laid on the bed and moved as far away as I could from her.

"Aldric?" I heard a voice say.

Be quiet. I wanted to say. You drive me crazy.

"Good night." She says.