4.2

Chapter 42

E L Y S I A

I didn't realize what I did until I did. I was on my knees before Aldric - I could feel something burn inside me. There was a string and I felt through us. My body moved against my will as I was before him. I blinked at the realization - I broke the Blood Oath.

I could only use magic against Aldric if I was in danger, not someone else. He could - He had - The consequences of a Blood Oath were grave. He could command me to do anything. Anything.

Leave.  A voice hissed through me. Though it didn't sound like Aldric, I knew it was him. I blinked. I turned to Silas and grabbed him in a frenzy, wanting to get away from the obsidian wolf as fast as I could. His eyes were piercing, unlike Laric's when he saw me. Either way, Aldric had complete control over me now.

Aldric had complete control over me.

I made the portal as fast as I could, pushed Silas in and myself before he could give me another command against my will. I didn't ignore the fury in his eyes. He was so angry, so terrifying - I didn't realize my entire body was shaking until we were back in the ground.

"He let us go -" Silas croaked.

I turned to Silas, checking for injuries.

"Why did he let us go?" Silas demanded, trying to stand up.

"I wish I knew -" I managed to say, putting my face in my hands.  

"Why did you get on your knees -" 

"I DON'T FUCKING KNOW SILAS!" I yelled. "I HAD TO SAVE YOU!" 

I turned to my bloody friend. His chest were covered in three scars of Aldric's claws. I turned to him and quickly starting using magic to save him. 

"I told you to shut up," I hissed at him. "Wolves have anger issues - if you hadn't - if you hadn't been so determined to rouse him up, he might've let you go - why didn't you listen to me?" 

"Let me go?" Silas croaked, nearly laughing. "I think you truly lost your mind being here." 

I wanted to slap him across the face but instead I began to cure him. 

"Shut up, Silas," I muttered. "Please." 

The spell to curing wounds from claw marks was easy if the claws weren't too deep. Thankfully, for Silas' case, Aldric didn't cut through him. The fury in his eyes when he saw me protect him...I didn't know Aldric might've thought. 

It didn't matter, I hissed at myself. It's a good thing. You have to move on.

"You okay, Sia?" he asked. 

"I thought I lost you, Silas," I croaked. "I thought - I thought he would really take you away from me - and I -" 

I broke the Blood Oath. Now, he could ask me to kill you. To hurt anyone. 

The worry in my chest escalated tenfold. I had to stay away from the battlefield - I had to convince Velanora to let the High Priestesses let me go. I had to protect my witches from myself. I wouldn't allow myself to go to battle again. I helped Silas up and moved him to the infirmary with one arm. 

The healers gawked at us and shock and turned to the scars in his chest. 

"He'll be fine," one of the healers, Natalia told me. "I promise. I know how much you care about him."

I could only nod. 

I would not allow myself on the battlefield. It couldn't happen. I couldn't -