3.2

Chapter 32

Elysia

    Everything hurt.

    I blinked and groaned before turning my head and realizing I was surrounded.

    "SHE'S AWAKE!" Raesana cried and suddenly the other healers of the infirmary were rushing towards me.

I blinked again.

    "Gods - Elysia!" This time, it was Silas' voice. He held my hand tightly as I laid on my stomach.

    I groaned and tried to lift my head only to feel my entire back cry out in pain. I was able to handle it before but my threshold for pain was very low. Now - I registered all of it - the way my muscles spasmed and burned. I bit my lip before placing my head back on the pillow.

And then I realized my back was exposed to everyone - meaning all the healers of the infirmary saw my claw mark and the whip that sliced through it. There must be a bloody "x" on my back.

I was the target for all the insane wolves and witches of Esera.

    "Normally, you're the one saving everyone's life, Lady Elysia," one of the healers - Eve - stated. "Today, we got to save you."

    I really wish you didn't.

    When I looked up again, I was surrounded by the healers of the infirmary - all of whom I knew very well. As High Healer of the kingdom, it was my responsibility to train and improve the works of other healers. I was their friend but also their instructor.

But right now - I was neither. Instead, I was the patient.

    The pain was catching up as I was slowly gaining consciousness of what was going on.

    "Morphine," I hissed at Raesana but my voice was cracking. "Please - The morphine - I need - morphine."

    Raesana nodded and one of the other healers handed the bottle. A tiny sip - but before I realized, I grabbed the bottle and lifted my head to swallow the pain.

    It wasn't enough.

    Pain was something healers couldn't cure. We could cure cuts, wounds, wolf bites - anything but when it came to the pain patients felt - there was not much we could do. I don't understand what was happening. Morphine should have been enough - slowly moving to help my body but even now -

    "Numb it," I turned to Raesana once more.

    Everything fucking hurt.

    "What kind of whip did she use on me?" I cried, groaning even when I felt Raesana's numbing spells ease the pain in my back.

    It wasn't enough.

    "A whip made from the ashes of the Maji crystals," Silas said beside me. "It's hurting your magic - not just your body."

    My magic.

    My magic was my blood.

    It was everything.

    "Why does a witch have a weapon to torture other witches?" I yelled. "If the wolves found out they could do this to Maji -"

    I stopped yelling, realizing I was surrounded. At the same time, the healers were looking at me in pity. I couldn't imagine what they thought of me. Raesana realized and turned to the other healers.

    "Hi - guys. I think our High Healer wants some privacy. Me and Silas will take care of her. Don't worry."

    "Of course! We bought you some chocolates and lots of flowers, Elysia." one of the healers said. From the corner of my eyes, I could see their concerned looks but another side-eye from Raesana made them rushy out quickly. Raesana turned to the curtains and covered until I was hidden.