3.5

Chapter 35

A L D R I C

    We lost.

    It was clear we lost that battle. The visage of wolves flying in all directions away from us shook the wolves to the core. I started to plan another attack.

    Except that was impossible

    It was fucking impossible.

    The Alphas stared at me as I analyzed the replica of the field. I had tried to find every strategy to move to the shield but each time, we were defeated.

    "That witch - who the hell was she?" Maddox hissed. "She destroyed everything - weeks of organizations - in seconds - she -"

    "That wasn't normal what she did," Claude said. "I have been in the battlefields since I was a child. A child. And I have never seen - High Priestess or not -"

    I think you can be the most dangerous witch in all of Esera, I had told her once.

    "The next we see her, we kill her. Cut her up - We all take a bites of that little bi-"

    "Shut it Lukas," I hissed.

    My hands balled into fists.

    The Alphas stared at me but did not say anything. The Alphas didn't know the truth. I had turned to the wolves of my pack, motioned them to stay quiet. Freya had done the rest, ensuring that word would never get out about who she was. The truth of my mate must not reach the other Alphas.

    "Tell your wolves she's mine," I growled instead. "She's my prey. No one else touches her."

    "It's been forty-nine hours," Freya said as I walked into our tent.

    "What?" I asked.

    "It's been forty nine hours since you last slept."

    I only shook my head at her. "Can't be that long."

     She took a deep breath and for a moment said nothing.

     "I saw her too," she said. Her eyes were darker now, the blue like stormy rain clouds then the ocean.

    I did not respond.

    "I thought you said she was under a Blood Oath to never harm wolves," Freya said, changing the topic. It was the conversation we intended to ignore, to pretend it didn't exist. But Freya only narrowed her eyes, stepped closer, held my arm. She demanded an answer even if she didn't say the demand.

    "The Blood Oath only protects the wolves of our pack. Only our pack. The other packs - they are fair game."

    "So all we have to do is get her to hurt one of our wolves and you'll be free to do whatever the hell you want with her. You can control her every move, stop her from using that kind of magic ever again."

    I frowned at Freya but said nothing again. I knew Freya hated Elysia. It was clear; at first, I thought it could be driven by jealousy but it seemed Freya really, really hated my mate. I swallowed my frustration.

There was no point of trying to get them to change their opinion. Elysia was gone. She had left me. She didn't care. It was clear she was siding with the witches and that I was her enemy just as much as she was mine. 

The next time we face each other in battle, I had no option but to fight her. To beat her. I already had one strength - she couldn't hurt me, not unless she wanted to defend herself. That was the promise I got from the Blood Oath. The only reason she wasn't already in my command was that the army she attacked was only Accius' wolves. She only attacked the incoming, circling army.