2.8

Chapter 28

Elysia

    I was a fool.

    All I could think about was what would happen if Aldric took a legion of twenty wolves through the Haeven villages. I had seen what happen when wolves pass through villages. I had seen it happen in the West. Aldric's father didn't just burn down the orphanage, but he created such havoc in the village - much of the village was completely destroyed.

Wolves destroyed villages; it was the lesson I learned.

But I was wrong.

Aldric wasn't a monster. I knew he wasn't a monster.

But I was so worried his wolves were.

Without thinking, I had written a letter and used a magical portal spell to send it to a mortal in the Haeven village. I only asked them to evacuate. I didn't give them a reason. I didn't even mention wolves.

Evacuate the village, danger is coming.

Six words. That was all I had sent. The spell required me to imagine the person who would be receiving the message. So I imagined a young mortal girl in the village, hoping it would be enough to warn them. I didn't think, didn't expect things would go far as arrows being shot at Aldric's wolves. Rather than have an army prepared for Aldric's wolves, I thought the villagers would hide or try to leave. 

And I most certainly didn't think a wolf would die.

I should be the one making reparations to the family.

Cara is dead. Aldric told me. There was so much pain in his voice. So much pain in his eyes.

I'm so sorry.

I'm so fucking sorry.

I didn't know what to do. Nothing I could ever do could fix this. I didn't make a simple mistake. I made a mistake that cost someone their life. All this talk about wanting to be a healer, but it was my mistake that killed someone.

Aldric didn't come back and it was past midnight. I couldn't take it anymore. I needed to talk to him. We needed to work this out. I knew he was furious with me but we had to talk. I wanted to appropriately apologize. If he asked, I would apologize to his wolves. I had to make him understand what I was going through. If I didn't at least warn the mortals, it would kill me inside. He couldn't possibly be asking me to betray my own kind. It wasn't possible.

I left the Vani Cabin but I decided to be visible for once. However, I did mask my scent. I needed to ask a wolf where he was. I didn't understand his castle or his territory well enough to know where he was again. I also wasn't interested in listening in on another conversation I shouldn't be listening in on.

It was dangerous and quite possibly stupid but I needed to talk to him. Aldric didn't come back the whole day. As I walked out, I realized how strangely quiet the wolves were at night. Most of the wolves were asleep and the castle seemed almost empty. There were no guards placed but I realized Aldric didn't need guards; his wolves were already soldiers.

Finally, I spotted a wolf. It was a girl with hazel eyes and blonde hair. She held a knife in her hand and she seemed to be practising with her weapon.

"Have you seen Aldric?" I asked her.

She turned around to me aggressively and her eyes widened.

"You're the witch," she hissed.

I don't respond, but I see her glaring down at me as if I was prey. I didn't care what she thought of me. I just wanted to see Aldric.

"Have you seen Aldric?" I asked again.