1.2

Chapter 12

E L Y S I A 

I had been practicing relentlessly. I don't even remember sleeping since Aldric gave me the book. In fact, I don't even remember eating. 

He finally realized I hadn't had proper food in almost two days other than those apple pieces and cookies. Aldric managed to sneak some soup and some vegetables and bought it for me to eat. But my brain was engrossed in Augela's magical book. She had spells about everything. I was practicing and memorizing.

Most of the time, Aldric was not in his chambers; He was out with his pack, planning and scheming. I noted his schedule. He was up before the sun every day and he would arrive from training or preparing or whatever it was he was doing until it was past midnight. He barely slept, I realized. 

This morning, I only counted four hours of sleep before he was up in the morning, changing his clothes. With one eye, I watched him from the corner. He was quiet, light on his feet.

He rubbed his eyes and yawned. Then, he lifted his shirt until I realized he was covered in tattoos and scars. I couldn't believe it. His back - his back was covered in tattoos and scars. The tattoo from the right side of his face continued down to his back. 

But his back had more tattoos - black ink colored his skin in three large circles. but everywhere around those large black circles were scars. I couldn't see them properly in the dim light but I could see the deep marks embedded in his skin. I squinted and realized. . . 

they were like brands,

even the large circles. 

He only held one candlelight in his hand and the moon was hidden in the clouds. I stared at him as he flexed his muscles. I watched as he quickly pulled a shirt over his head. Then he turned around and I quickly shut my eyes, pretending to be asleep again. 

And then he was gone. 

Aldric had three rules when he came into his chambers at night. He bathed, changed his clothes and fell back on the bed and collapsed immediately. 

I was quiet most of the time too. I remained in the corner of his chambers, reading through spells beside a candle on the grey carpets of his floor during the night. It was so strange to know Aldric was in this bedroom every night; he slept on that bed while I simply studied magic. I didn't practice anything before him, of course, but I simply memorized the spells until my head would hurt.

He didn't say anything to me most of the time. In fact, he acted like I didn't even exist. It was so strange. 

When Aldric wasn't in his chambers, which was for most of the day, I practiced simple household spells for growing plants and cleaning. I practiced simple spells for levitation and even read some sections about the art of potions. Aldric, meanwhile, didn't have complaints or comments. He continued to act like I didn't exist.

"Are you going to eat your food?" He finally asked the second night, realizing he had placed another plate I hadn't touched. 

I looked back up and nodded.

"I will," I promised.

"Eat your food. If you waste it again, I will not hesitate to let you starve," he hissed. He was very clearly in a horrible mood but when wasn't he? 

I didn't take his threat lightly and nodded. I took the plate and started eating at that very moment.

"Wait!" I called, realizing he was heading to the bathroom. "Do you by chance have another dress? Or something else to wear - I been in the same clothes for two days."