This Is Not Who I'm Supposed to Be Ch.4

Chapter 4/11

--

It had been a few weeks, and it was surprisingly easy to get used to the Stilinskis. Or the fact that he has a surname... Stiles Stilinski... He thinks it sounds a little weird, but he's getting used to it.

Training was just the same as before, just less hard. Fighting has gotten easier, or maybe Derek just let him win sometimes. English has gotten a little easier, some words are still hard to pronounce though. He's been watching a lot of movies with Cora lately, Star Wars has been his absolute favorite. And he's almost ready to train his full shift.

Claudia Stilinski reminds him of his mother. She's sweet, caring and patient. When he had trouble walking in the morning after waking up, she helped him. When he was scared to go outside after a nightmare, she sat with him, patiently waited until he was ready.

Noah Stilinski has been busy with his job, protecting Beacon Hills as the Sheriff, but the moments he got to know his new adoptive father, he found out he's kind and accepting. The sheriff told him stories about his work, about criminals he had arrested or the joke that made half of the department laugh so hard, their paperwork was forgotten for a few hours.

After a few days Stiles finally opens up too, but only when Derek's with them. He tells them about when he was younger, about being trained by his parents. And him training the younger foxes after that. It was his role in their group, he was the smartest, she he was always the teacher.

He told them stories about the winters. How they'd spent days walking to their other home, where they would finally be able to get food again. He would tell them about the ones he had lost, to hunters or big wolves.

Derek had looked guilty when he told the story about a wolf catching one of his best friends. Stiles had dragged Derek to his room and hugged him.

"I know the difference between you and those wolves." Stiles told him. "You're human, you have a big heart. Those wolves only have hunting instincts. And even though I miss my dear friend, I forgive the wolf. I had to kill rabbits to survive, those had friends too. The wolf only needed food to survive, it's their nature. They don't know any better."

The way Derek looked at him... Stiles definitely knew for sure that he never wanted Derek to look different at him.

"Stiles." Talia greets him with a warm smile as she opens the door for him, "I have talked to Derek and Andrew about this, and we think you're ready to train you full fox shift."

Stiles' smile is so big, it hurts his face. "Really? Oh, thank you! Thank you!" He pulls the older woman in a big hug and basically starts jumping in excitement, making the Alpha laugh.

He couldn't wait until he was a fox again. Running around as fast as he could. Curling up in warm corners, his tail keeping his nose warm as he sleeps. Not that he minded his new human life, but he missed his fox days.

Stiles follows Talia to their backyard, where Derek's sitting on a bench, reading one of the books Stiles has seen scattered on his desk. Cora told him Derek was a 'nerd'. Stiles has no idea what it means, but it apparently means Derek likes reading books.

Stiles liked books too. Although he wasn't really able to read a lot. But he liked it.

Derek looks up from his book and grabs a small paper from the table next to him, putting it between the pages before closing the big, leather bound book and placing it on the bench next to him. He gets up and gives Stiles a smile as the fox excitedly runs towards him to give him a hug, Stiles' favorite way of greeting Derek.

"Hey, Stiles!" Derek greets him, laughing as he wraps his arm around the younger boy's waist.

"I can't wait until I'll be able to be a fox again!" Stiles tells his new best friend. "I will be able to run again. And maybe hunt, because, no offense, but human food is kinda gross."