5 Times Derek Comes Out + 1 Time He Doesn't Have To

1. Laura

Derek was only 14 when he realized that he wasn't only attracted to girls, he also liked boys. There was this boy in his class, Lucas, and he made Derek's stomach feel weird every time they made eye contact.

At first Derek didn't know what it was. But then he realized it, the way girls talk about boys and boys talk about girls is exactly the same how he feels about Lucas.

But no other boys talked about boys like that, and no girls talked about girls like that. Which made him confused, was there something wrong with his brains? Was he just imagining it? It's okay to feel like this, right? Why does everyone always have to be with the different gender anyway?

He wasn't sure how to talk about it to anyone. Was it weird or was it normal? It kinda made him feel lonely sometimes. His teammates would joke and talk about girls, who they're currently crushing on and models they'd dream of.

They'd ask him about which girl he was currently crushing on. He told them none. Which was true. He had a crush on a boy, not a girl.

No one had noticed Derek becoming quieter every day. No one except Laura, who knew her brother like she knew her own name.

So one day, when she was going to give him a ride home, she decided to confront him about it.

"What's going on with you, Der?" She asked him, raising one of her eyebrows at him. She give him that look. The look she gave everyone, telling them they had no way of getting out of this.

"Nothing, Laura." Derek answered, staring out of the window.

Laura follows his eyes and sees a blonde boy smiling at his friends. Derek's scents changes a little, and she smirks, "You wanna tell me something?"

He turns to look at her, and her smirk changed into a warm, comforting smile.

"Is it... Normal for a boy to like another boy?" He asks her, his voice small and soft as he avoids her eyes.

"It is completely normal, Der." She answers and places her hand on his arm. "Sadly there are people out there filled with hate, and they don't accept it. But it's still normal. As normal as breathing."

"So I'm not weird?" He asks her, "Because I like both, and it's confusing."

"Life is confusing. But it's not weird, Derek." She leans forwards to press a kiss to his cheek.

2. Talia

After Laura, he hadn't talked about it to anyone else. He just didn't feel like it. He wanted to know everything for sure before he told someone else about it. Laura accepted him and didn't confront him about talking to their parents, or anyone else in their family.

She did tell him that no matter what, their family will love him no matter what. They were born wolves, they knew how it was to be 'different' than the 'average' human. Not that she thought the average human was straight, she told him more people were gay, bi or a different sexuality than he thought, but most people just didn't talk about it.

Sometimes it's not safe, not every family is like theirs. Or some people just didn't feel the need to talk about it. They're the way they are, why come out about it? Straight people didn't.

But after a few weeks he felt like had to tell his mother. He needed the comfort of her motherly hugs, make sure Laura was right by telling him she would accept him no matter what. So one night he knocked on her door, it was already past his bedtime but he couldn't sleep. He had to do it now.