Chapter 3

Team Seven's perverted sensei, Kakashi, explained that the mission the three genins would be doing was helping a villager plant his crops.

On the journey to the man's home, Kakashi somehow managed to walk while reading his orange book and not keeping his eyes off the pages.

When the team reached their destination, the farmer greeted them cheerfully and gave them all a warm smile... until he saw Naruto and gave him the stink eye.

Gulping, Naruto thought to himself, It's that look again! Those eyes...

He quickly turned away, thinking that if he continued staring he would get into trouble. God knows what the villagers would do this time.

Seeing the exchange between the boy and the farmer, Sasuke began to grow suspicious. The sudden change in the man's behaviour was unusual. Though, this seemed to go unnoticed by Sakura and Kakashi. His bright smile turned into a sour face. He then gave the ninja instructions.

"For your mission today you will be helping me plant these pumpkin seeds in this field right here. Make sure to bury them properly." He instructed bitterly.

The farmer gave each genin a handful of pumpkin seeds, carefully not to make contact to Naruto's hand.

Kakashi didn't help out but instead read his book. Sakura asked for gloves and carefully tried to not get her dress dirty. Sasuke tried to keep to himself, but couldn't help but glance at Naruto. The blonde haired boy didn't mind getting dirty at all, and surprisingly did his job well. Though, he quickly ran out of seeds and approached the farmer to ask for more.

"Um... uh..." he paused, becoming a little pale. "Uh... could I have more seeds?"

The man grunted in return and tossed pumpkin seeds at him. None thrown at Naruto's face but some fell, making it seem quite rude. The boy crouched down to pick them up still looking miserable.

As he was returning to the gardening patch with the seeds, Naruto had a dazed expression presented on his face. In fact, he seemed so lifeless it was as if he were zombie. Barely able to walk, the blonde stumbled over a rock and with a loud thud face-planted to the ground.

Hearing a 'THUD!' , everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at him.

Finally, Kakashi took his eyes off his book, "Uhm... Naruto, I knew you were a bit out of it today, but this?"

Naruto groaned and sat up, "Sorry sensei, I've just been really tired doing training lately."

"Baka Naruto! You shouldn't waste all your energy on training, you know! Otherwise, you can't complete missions!" Sakura scowled, "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"No, no! I'm fine! Don't you worry about me, Sakura-Chan!" Naruto replied as he got up and brushed the dirt off his clothes.

"Naruto, you're way too exhausted to help out on the mission today. Besides, you've sprained your ankle. You should go home and rest for the day." Kakashi told the young boy.

"What? No! I'm fine, see? Just lemme help plant the seeds!" Naruto whined ignoring the pain.

"Naruto! Just go home already!"

"I'll go take Naruto back to his house." A voice suddenly said.

Everyone turned their heads to see the Uchiha behind them.

Even at a time like this, Sakura still seemed to like coming up with an excuse to be alone with him. "But Sasuke-Kun, you need to help plant and sensei's been doing nothing! Let him do it."

"I'm doing it myself, thanks." Sasuke retorted.

He then approached Naruto and helped him stand up. The raven grabbed the boy's arm and wrapped it around his neck, allowing him to lean on to him. This caused the whiskered boy to slightly blush.

The blonde growled, "Teme! I can walk, ya know!"

"Hn. No you can't. Let's go already."

The blonde and the raven left the rest of the team and the farmer, arguing along the way.

Sakura had her closed hand to her mouth in concern. She thought aloud, "Sheesh! What's going on with that kid?"

The farmer smirked, "What a filthy brat touching my belongings. Lucky for me he got hurt and left." he then turned to Kakashi, "How can you put up with having that demon on your team?"

Kakashi glared at him in return.

What did Naruto ever do to him? Sakura thought.