Sugar, Honey, Ice and Tea

*Picture of James up top*

It was the 15th of May, 2019, the day I would meet the love of my life.

Of course, had you materialized in front of me like some freak god of fate and told me that little detail as I sat in the cozy café across from my new apartment, waiting for my best friend to show up, I would have declared you a nutcase and me highly uninterested. I was thoroughly through with relationships. But then life seldom cares about our whims. One of my favourite movie quotes goes like this: "It is said some lives are linked across time. Connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages. Destiny."

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're all thinking right now: how cheesy, how cliché. And the rational scientist in me agrees wholeheartedly. But thinking back to that day, to that first, inconspicuous, fleeting meeting, I cannot completely eliminate the possibility, however slight it might be, that Calliope and I... We were written in the stars. 

***

The doorbell of the café, that had the potential to become my new favourite, rang and I rolled my eyes as Max strolled over to me. He was always late. Always. How could a person always be late? I hated that. I tried to look stern, but when Max's face cracked up into a big, goofy grin, I rolled my eyes again and laughed.

"Hey man. What are you up to?" Max asked, still grinning.

I got up and hugged him tight. God, it had been too long since I'd seen him.

"I'm great. What about you?"

"I am really glad you are back in town!" Max's lips lifted into a smirk that had been his trademark ever since we'd been old enough to care about girls. I saw the earnest underneath the humour.

"I'm glad to be back, too."

My answering smile was tight-lipped and felt sad even to myself. Max's grin faltered as he furrowed his brows.

"You doin' okay? I mean with... with everything that happened... Darlene..."

I didn't answer as I brought my triple espresso up to my lips and took a healthy gulp. I did not want to talk about Darlene. Not now. Hell, not ever. I frowned.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

My tone indicated my unwillingness to pursue this particular subject and, as usual, Max wouldn't have it.

"You sure? You know you can talk to me, right?"

I ground my teeth. The pain was still too fresh, the betrayal still too deep.

"I'm fine. And I don't want to talk about it."

Max held up his hands. "Okay, okay. If you don't want to, you don't have to. Just know that I'll be there if... you know... one day..."

My face softened. "Thanks, Max."

There was an uncomfortable silence where neither knew what to say.

When had life become so awkward and stiff?

The half-embarrassed silence was thankfully interrupted as the waiter showed up to take Max's orders.

"I'll just have a coke, please."

The waiter smiled courteously and disappeared toward the counter. Shortly after, he came back to place the coke in front of Max. The little café was pretty packed, yet the atmosphere was intimate and relaxed.

"So, how are things with Lily?" I finally asked.

Max's face lit up like a lamp. "She's amazing, man. I can't wait for you to meet her."