Like a deer in the headlights

"So, Lily, did you enjoy your first round of paintball?" I asked as we moved away from the field and towards the car. We'd taken Max's Camaro, which had absolutely thrilled Calliope.

"It was actually not that bad!" She laughed, somewhat relieved. "I even got to shoot one before I was outed." Max looked over to her, pride glinting in his eyes.

"You did great, popsicle," he told Lily who snaked her hand around his in answer. "Hey, where did you guys disappear to? You were next to us one moment and then you were gone."

I looked at Calliope and grinned. She was blushing, and carefully avoided looking at any of them. "Oh, you know, shooting people. We saw the enemy team to our right and we didn't want to attract their attention by screaming to you across the field. You were too far back," I replied. Max grunted but didn't say anything which was pretty uncharacteristic.

"Hey Calliope, you wanna drive?" Max asked as we approached his car, excitement all over his face.

"You'd let me drive your car?" Calliope looked shocked, but Max only nodded, grinning. Then his face suddenly fell in concern. "But only if you promise me not to crash it."

Calliope grinned at him. "I think I can do that."

Max tossed her the keys and slid into the backseat with Lily as Calliope took the driver's seat, adjusting everything to fit her size. She turned the key and groaned at the purr the car emitted. I thought Max looked a little tight around the eyes, but it turned out Calliope was a good driver. She switched gears smoothly, allowing for some fun and speed on the highway, but she drove carefully. Max relaxed into his seat, an arm slung over Lily's shoulders. I saw in the rearview mirror as Max bent down to shower Lily's neck with kisses. She flushed and tried to shake him off, clearly embarrassed, but Max wouldn't have it and nibbled at her lower lip. Calliope met my amused gaze out of the corner of her eyes and her lips pressed into a thin line to keep from laughing. I was glad for my friend. He seemed genuinely happy and that was the best one could expect from life, right?

Calliope drove us to Southport Park and parked the car. She'd convinced us to go to that park because there was a small fair. It was well past four when we got out of the car and strolled over. I had put on a light sweater, but Calliope was still only wearing her tank top.

"You're really never cold, are you?" I smiled at her.

"No, rarely." She shrugged. "Guess it's the hot-blooded temper." Her lips lifted into a smile, but her eyes held some seriousness.

"Please. Could you spare a dollar for an old man? I'm hungry."

I turned around to see a man approach us from behind, dressed in filthy jeans and a parka full of holes. He looked unkempt and was, quite clearly, drunk.

Calliope turned around, too and smiled at the man, before rummaging in her pocket. She didn't have a bag, I only now noticed. She pulled out ten bucks and gave them to the man. Did she even own a purse?

Probably not.

It would suit her not to have one. I cringed internally at the thought of just carrying my money around in the pocket of my jeans.

"Here ya go, buddy."

Her smile was warm. The man took the money and beamed at her.

"Well, thank ya, deary. Aren't you a sight for the eyes. God bless ya, little miss."

Then the man turned around and shuffled away. I looked at Calliope, rather exasperated.

"You do know he's going straight to the liquor's shop with that money, right?"