FOUR | Let the planning begin!

- Sumaiya's PoV

"He will be here at 4, make sure you're ready by then, okay?" interrogated my big brother. It had two weeks since Dawood and I had agreed to the marriage, and so far we'd only met once and spoken on the phone once. By now though, both our parents had decided that it was about time we actually spent some time getting to know each other. That is what tonight is about apparently.

I'd been on a night shift at the hospital, got home at 8 a.m. and fallen into a deep slumber before being awoken at 2 p.m. by Faatiha who demanded that I get up and shower before getting ready to go out.

Right now I was sat cross legged on my bedroom floor applying a light layer of mascara with some clear lip gloss, after having changed into a black top with plum trousers and hijab, finished with a pair of black block heel sandals.

A little while later there was a knock at the door and I found myself being led to a shiny black BMW by Yahya, as Dawood opened the door for me and allowed me to sit indie before closing the door and walking over to the driver's seat

A little while later there was a knock at the door and I found myself being led to a shiny black BMW by Yahya, as Dawood opened the door for me and allowed me to sit indie before closing the door and walking over to the driver's seat. I recited the dua for travelling as he reveres out of the driveway and couldn't help but marvel at how handsome he looked behind the wheel.

About 2 hours later we'd finished our meal and had talked as though we had known each other forever. I had to say, it felt amazing. He and I were slowly becoming good friends, and I prayed that after marriage, if Allah wills, our friendship continues to grow and flourish. For now though, it was time to head back to my house. Baba had arranged for both families to meet up and set a date for our engagement and nikaah (Islamic marriage ceremony – the official ceremony would be held later).

Zahra opened the door when we got back, greeted us both and led us into the living room where I hugged my parents, his parents and his sister. MashaAllah they were a lovely family, and I was already becoming great friends with Seema, his older sister, as well as Junaid, his brother, who I'd met 3 times now.

"So Sumaiya has requested that the engagement be a smaller event, with just our closest families attending, and maybe the closest friends of the soon to be bride and groom."

"Yes, I agree that the engagement should be a more intimate ceremony, with the nikaah being open to more relatives and friends, though still only close, to celebrate the marriage of the couple in the eyes of Islam."

Throughout the whole time, I found myself excited for the time to come now, not anxious and worried like I initially expected. Alhamdulillah, I think meeting someone I genuinely liked made the world of difference.