TEN | Alhamdulillah

وَخَلَقْنَاكُمْ أَزْوَاجًا

      'and (have we not) created you in pairs' (Quran 78:8)

Salaam once again my lovely readers. I know I've already updated earlier today, but I was so excited to get this chapter uploaded that I've put aside all the work that is due in at 8 a.m. tomorrow to get this done! Please show some love to this chapter, it would really mean so much to me <3

Aside from that, I just wanted to apologise for any errors, grammatical or otherwise that I have made so far in this story, be sure to let me know how I can improve!

For now though, enjoy x

 - Dawood's PoV

"Sumaiya, daughter of Muhammad of the Ahmad family – do you accept this marriage to Dawood, son of Abdur Rahman of the Ali family?" the imam spoke.

There was a silence in the room that would have allowed the sound of a pin dropping to be heard.

"Yes, qabul (I accept)"

"Alhamdulillah, may Allah bless your union and may he make you both happy together and live in peace and harmony while bringing out the best in each other and bettering each other's deen (religion/faith) for the sake of Allah"

A chorus of "Aameen" echoed around the room.

I looked up, feeling tears in my eyes which I pushed back, not allowing myself to cry in front of my family at such a joyous occasion.

I couldn't see Sumaiya, my soon to be wife, until arrived at the hall. All I wanted to do was see her, speak to her, admire her and cherish her as the woman I would spend the rest of my life with.

When, finally, we all arrived, it was arranged that all the men would eat first before going upstairs and joining the celebrations upstairs.

"Hey, Dawood Bhai," it was Sulaiman, Sumaiya's brother-in-law, and now mine too. "I just wanted to speak to you before you head up. Sumaiya is a lovely girl, I've known her for two years now, and she has a heart of gold. As her older brother, it's my duty to make sure that she is protected, but I know you're a great guy and that you'll take care of her. Please keep her happy and be there for her whenever she needs you."

He gave me a manly hug before heading off to the other guests.

It was time for us to go to the main hall now, the ladies had already been there for a while now, and I was itching to see her. I'd just spoken to Yahya, who'd promised to watch me like a hawk and kill me if anything was ever to happen to his little sister ;)

I finally found myself at the foot of the stage, surrounded by my family. I walked up to the beautiful woman who had just arrived there, glowing with joy and blushing with shyness. She was wearing a beautiful golden dress embellished with countless diamonds and embroidery, which complemented her fair skin tone remarkably. Her hair was covered in a simple turban hijab style, and she had an elegant matching dupatta (veil) hanging off her shoulder to finish the look. It looked marvellous. As she stepped forward, her dress floated with her, and I stared in awe at the woman who was now, islamically, mine.

 As she stepped forward, her dress floated with her, and I stared in awe at the woman who was now, islamically, mine

She was graceful, she was elegant, she was mine.

My wife.

The woman I vow to love till the end of my days, who I promise to fight for till my dying breath, whose happiness I will always put before my own and who I'll cherish and protect for the rest of my life.

I looked at her and smiles, a tear in my eye. She gazed back at me, both her eyes filled, the atmosphere around us forgotten, brought alive once again only by the clicking and flashing of the camera.

We sat down besides each other, as nervous as we are excited. I could see she was happy, so happy, but she was shaking – excitement, nerves, I don't know, but I hold out my hand between us, my fingers spread wide, and she looks at it, then up at me, her big brown eyes softly meeting my own, while I feel a cool, slim hand rest upon mine, fingers slotting in perfectly, like the pieces of a jigsaw. She tightens her grip supportively, and smiles.

It was the first time I'd felt her touch, and when I did, I felt so blessed. I thank Allah for the day, for my life, for my family, for my wife. Alhamdulillah.

Our parents come and congratulate us, sending us their blessings, then let us know that it's finally time for us to get some time alone as husband and wife.

Husband and wife.

We stroll to a quiet corner of the hall, still hand in hand, and talk.

For a few more hours, we sat on the stage, meeting the guests and family members who approached us with blessings and gifts, and went around together to meet those who we hadn't had the opportunity to see. That included my grandmother, who placed her hands on my cheeks before enveloping Sumaiya in a hug from her wheelchair and holding each of our hands firmly despite her weak, fragile build.

"My beta (son), Mubarak, and to you Sumaiya beti (daughter). My child," she looked directly into my eyes, "you have been through difficult times, you deserve the best. I know this is just the start. MashaAllah you two look very nice together. I pray that InshaAllah Allah blesses you both eternally with happiness and blessings and that you both find the best in each other. My boy, keep going, there is so much in this world that can make you happy, stay strong. Have aspirations, pray to allah, your dreams will always come true."

I couldn't help but allow the tears that had left my eyes to flow. I squeezed her hands, thanked her for her words, and hugged her before leading my wife to the stage once more.

The day was going perfectly, all the guests were having a great time. I just wished – so desperately – that all the people that I loved could have be here to witness this and give their blessings. I guess all dreams don't come true eh.

After cutting the cake with my bride and distributing it with the guests, swapping gifts and having fun, I had something to give to Sumaiya. Her ring.

I had looked everywhere, at all different metals and designers and stones and colours and shapes and sizes and I was lost! So lost! I couldn't find anything that was special, unique, fitting for the love of my life. It actually meant I had to employ Seema and mama to help me pick out the perfect one. It was from Tiffany and Co. and I knew the moment I saw it, that they were right. It would suit her perfectly! And so that was the one I brought.

It slid onto her slender finger with ease, and when it settled on the finger of it's new owner, it shone in the light and the beautiful stone glistened, shining magnificent colours that danced in the light.

She cried then, thanking me, and I pulled her into an embrace, savouring the moment which I would, undoubtedly, never forget.

Awwwwhhh my Sumaiya and Dawood have finally had their nikaah and can now be considered as husband and wife <3. 

BUT: Hmmm, what's all this about? What did Dawood and his Grandmother mean? Dreams never come true eh? I wonder what's going on...

Comment on this chapter with your assumptions, and vote if you're curious to find out more x