SEVENTEEN | The big day

I was getting very nervous and worked up. Children are making a racket of a noise downstairs, my sister had just come round and was meeting all the relatives who had come to our house and her husband was being introduced to some of the ones who hadn't yet met him because they weren't able to attend their wedding almost 2 years ago.

My brother was the only one keeping me sane – well, him and Faatiha. I was waiting for my best friend Hanna to arrive, because she would be helping me get ready along with Zahra and Faatiha and the make-up artist.

Mama and baba were busy downstairs trying to get everyone settled and drop some of the people who had just arrived to their hotels. I felt sorry for them, but they were both doing their best to keep everything under control so that we could all relax and get everything done without having to be in the way of everybody.

---

"Hannaaaaa!! I'm so glad you're finally here!"

"Sumyyy! I can't believe your big day is here at last, we've been fantasising over your wedding day for years! Oh, Assalamu alaykum Aunty, Uncle, how are you?"

I laughed and made my way upstairs after signalling to Hanna that I'd be in my room so to come after she had finished chatting with my parents, who were helping my grandparents before they would go and get ready themselves.

An hour or so later, after I had a lovely hot bath prepared by wonderful mother, I was sat on my bed chatting to my sisters and best friend with a steaming mug of coffee in my hand. They were all doing my nails before the make-up lady arrives so that she can get started on me as soon as possible.

These girls have been the absolute greatest for me my entire life, from providing a shoulder to cry on, a rock when I feel like I'm falling and most importantly right now, they've been there for every single one of my wedding day emergencies, from forgetting to go to dress alterations, to ordering the wrong size of non-refundable shoes, and even not being able to decide on which make-up artist I wanted for my big day. So, to make it up to them, I've planned a little surprise for them.

They know nothing about it, but when baba and Yahya leave for Zohar salah at the masjid (which is around half past 1, because its summer time), my makeup will hopefully be finished and I've got a little treat for the girlies outside. A lovely lady I met during a collaboration once plans small events and makes the most delicious mojitos (non-alcoholic ;P) that I have ever seen. Then I have also arranged for a group of artists to come and get them ready – which should not take much time because they're amazing and they work as a team.

EEK guys it is getting so real! Sumaiya is about to get married... and everything is just about going perfectly so far! But, how long will things stay that way... will this story remain  so lovely and hunky dory, or is trouble just around the corner...?

hmmm..

Until next time,

birdwithapen x