TWENTY ONE | He created us in pairs

I told you guys I was back on track! Here's another chapter for you all to enjoy x

"Hmm, okay, I got one! Favourite TV show?"

"Okay, you should have been a little more specific with that one. My favourite series is SUITS, it made me want to be a lawyer for so long, but midwifery called my name instead. I am an absolute sucker for romantic movies too though – I love the twilight saga, Edward Cullen is a dreaammmmm and the fault in our stars – oh! Augustus was such a gentleman! Not to forget Harry Potter of course, him, Ron and Hermoine are the best trio out there and JK Rowling is only the best author on the planet."

He laughed for a minute straight as I stared at him confusedly. "What?!"

"So what you are trying to say, is that my competition is a moody vampire, a fictional guy who pretends to smoke, and a boy who managed to not get killed by an evil wizard?"

"Hey! No! Harry is not my crush, he'd be my best friend. My real crush since childhood is al- actually leave it."

He sat up in bed and looked at me intently.

"Don't leave that sentence unfinished. Who is it? I need to know who exactly I'm up against"

"Okay fine, but don't laugh. Its Aladdin." I quickly raised the pillow to my face to avoid revealing my now beetroot red cheeks.

Great, now he was going to think he married a child. He laughed at me continuously and used his next question to ask me how much of a Disney maniac I am. After a couple more rounds, the humour dropped slightly, as we began to question more about our future together, whether we want kids, how many and so forth. It had been a long day, and as the darkness of the night cast its shadows on the room and we lay there in the silence, we continued to play our game of questioning.

"Last question. And, please, don't be afraid to tell me the truth. Are you happy with this marriage? Did you want this? Do you wish you hadn't gone ahead with it?"

I could sense the hint of worry that laced his words which he tried to expel calmly and jokingly, and it made me turn towards him. The darkness made me whisper as my mind began to wonder, "of course I am. When Allah created us humans, he wrote down all our names. Somewhere on that list was mine, and He wrote the name of a man besides it. I didn't know who that man was until not too long ago. But when I did, when I discovered that it was you, I'll admit at first I was terrified at the thought of marriage – I didn't even know you. But, later, as I thought about it, I realised that this is what I wanted, as I poured my heart out to my creator every night I thought about it, and it made me feel so sure. I saw the beauty of marriage and now, after only such a short period of time, I can't imagine the name of any other man besides my own. He created us in pairs. This is what I want, Dawood. I promise."

The lights were off, but I could just about make out the look of his smile and the glistening of his eyes. I said salaam to him before turning to my right side and closing my eyes after the long and tiresome wedding day that seemed to have lasted lightyears.

Only a few moments later, I felt the bed dip closer to me when he thought I was asleep, as he moved towards me and lay his arm gently across my body and his fingers intertwined with mine. Sleep was taking over me but I still heard his whisper,

"Every day since the first time I met you I have thanked Allah for allowing our paths to cross. You are perfect for me, though I am far from perfect, and I am sorry for that. You knew just what to say when I had a moment of fear and doubt, and I thank you for that. I know it is so soon, but I love you, Sumaiya."

And he quickly planted a light kiss on my forehead, before I fell fast asleep with the hint of a smile still on my face.

So, what do you think? Here we got a little bit more of an insight into Sumaiya's character, her favourite characters etc. What is your favourite TV show/movie at the moment?? Let me  know in the comments section down below!!

Oh, and if you're enjoying the story so far, don't hesitate to vote for my story too!