ELEVEN | Busy bee

It took me a while to figure out how to start off this chapter, but once I started, it got a lot easier! Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think in the comments below ↓↓↓

Sumaiya's PoV

I smiled down at phone, shaking my head as I turned back to the mayhem spread out on the worktop in front of me

I had a cake set on a turn table in front of me, waiting to be covered in a thick layer of delicious buttercream. The bottom 3 tiers of my multi-story creation were already prepared, measuring at a huge 24 inches tall, and would be finished with 1 final layer and an ombre hand painted effect, in addition to intricate piping and flowers that still needed to be arranged, before packing it up into my car with Yahya's help and getting ready to collect my best friend Hanna from her grandmother's house and driving to the venue where the Annual British Business Awards Ceremony was going to be held. (AN: remember that email that Sumaiya read at 4 a.m. from all those chapters ago?? ;) )

It's almost 4 p.m. and I still had plenty to do, so I called in my trusty helpers Mama and Faatiha to start assembling the boxes and separating my flowers. By the time they had finished, I'd just added the final touches of paint and shimmer and stacked the tiers one above the other to give the cake the magnificence it deserved.

In the confines of mama's kitchen, it looked spectacular, towering above any other wedding cake that I had made before, its delicate patterns and bold features definitely set it apart from any of my previous bakes. I quickly started arranging the flowers and green leaves – and although this was supposed to be the most stressful part for any baker opting to use a combination of both edible and non-edible fresh flower, I savoured the moments as I poked each stem into position, knowing that this was, by far, the pinnacle of my baking career.

I had to be at the venue for 6:30, half an hour before the guests arrived so that I could set up my arrangement exactly how I wanted to. That leaves me with 40 minutes to shower and get ready, 20 minutes to get  and collect Hanna and half an hour to drive down there. While I get ready,  Yahya and my trusty parents were getting the cake into the car carefully to make sure nothing moved out of place.

Zahra was coming over to stay the night with Sulaiman tonight so I'd asked her to get here quickly so she and Faatiha could help me get ready as soon as I jump out of the shower.

15 minutes later I was out, my nails were clean and I smelt and looked way more fresh than I had been earlier on! My sisters have laid out my outfit and hijab on the bed and Zahra was getting my shoes out of my cupboard. I quickly rubbed on some moisturiser and lip balm, before flawlessly applying some foundation, bronzer, highlighter and eye shadow, before finishing with some eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and blusher.

I had opted for a long burgundy dress with floral embroidery covering the front and back, with a matching hijab and black open toe heels. I didn't want to wear anything too light or bright as the event was being held very late in the evening.

 I didn't want to wear anything too light or bright as the event was being held very late in the evening

Finally, I'm ready. I grab my phone and smile at another text from Dawood wishing me luck with the evening and quickly call Hanna to let her know I'm leaving home before rushing to my parents to tell them I'm off. I then quickly do salaam with Yahya and Sulaiman and run to say bye to my sisters, letting them all know that I'll be home late tonight.

At 6:30, Hanna and I arrived and met up with the organisers, arranged the cake display perfectly and went off to find our seats. I was going to bring my siblings, but I had only been granted one extra ticket seeing as I wasn't actually a nominee, and Hanna was coming to stay for a couple of days with her Grandmother. We seriously have so much catching up to do, so I decided that this was my perfect opportunity.

I look around, breathing in the atmosphere as all kinds of esteemed guests came and took their places in the hall. The environment was buzzing and I couldn't believe that I was actually here. Me?! Out of all the people in the world, I had been selected to showcase something special for them and to impress everyone. I couldn't believe how lucky I was!

Sooo... what did you think? Was I going to let an opportunity like this slip through Sumaiya's fingers just like that? Nah... course not! Just thought I wouldn't mention it until the time came, because - well, there's more to come.

Vote if you're liking the story so far, and please please please guys *puppy face* leave some love and constructive feedback in the comments below ↓. I am absolutely DYING to know your thoughts on the story so far!!

Love,

birdwithapen x