NINE | A day in the life...

Salaam lovelies!

I went back to college today after my half term break so things will be getting busier now especially with Ramadhan and exams just round the corner eek! But InshaAllah it'll all go well and I intend to keep writing this story regularly regardless because, well, I enjoy it so much. I hope you guys are enjoying it too.

Love, 

birdwithapen x

        - Sumaiya's PoV

It had been 3 weeks since our engagement, and I had been so busy with work that I was barely prepared for my nikaah ceremony, which would be held on Friday, that's only 6 days away from now.

We'd booked out the hall and baba had sorted out the nikaah arrangements with our imam, who would ask for acceptance of marriage from me and Dawood. Everyone's outfits had been handpicked, including mine. The photographer would be same lovely lady who captured our engagement moments, and catering once again would be sorted out by the Ali family.

Right now I was standing in a queue at Starbucks. I'd been called to a home birth and desperately needed some caffeine in my system before the action began. It wasn't often I did these, but sometimes our expectant mothers become so attached to their midwives during the course of their pregnancies that you are the only people they want around them when it comes to the crunch.

It was 7 a.m. I had been woken up by a call at 5 from the hospital letting me know that this patient was in labour and that I should begin to make my way there soon. After grabbing my drink, I called an Uber and was driven to an area that looked a lot like the neighbourhood where my fiancé lived. Trouble was, in the chaos of the ceremony, I hadn't paid proper attention to the exact location, so I couldn't be sure. I smiled, twisting my promise ring round my finger as I remembered the man who gifted it, then put my mind back to the busy day ahead of me.

--

"Hey Hazel, I know this is stressful and that you're exhausted and all you want to do is stop this and rest, but baby is getting restless in there and all he wants to do is his meet his mummy and daddy. So, are you going to carry on? For him? Make sure he doesn't work himself into a mess, yes?" I asked, determined to motivate her to push the baby out and avoid any intervention from the hospital. Smiling at her partner, Frank Lancaster, I handed him a cool towel to help him soothe his girlfriend.

"Okay, fantastic! We're almost there, just a few more big pushes. 3,2,1.... Excellent, his head is out, another one in 3,2,1... one more should do it! 3,2,1...!"

Seconds later, a shrill cry filled the room, and although rough and scratchy to a passer-by, it way joy to the ears of his parents, and for me, too.

I left a couple of hours later, having checked mother and baby over, helping her breastfeed and collecting notes for the doctor. But there wasn't any time for me to rest, Zahra was coming over today to come with me to collect my nikaah dress, then we were going to buy gifts for both the families.

By the time we'd arrived back home that night, my head was pounding and I didn't want to plan another wedding again.

There you go. What did you think?? As you can tell, Sumaiya loves babies awwh, and so do I lol. Vote if you love babies too x