A Perfect Mask // Yandere! Shape Shifter x Reader.

It hadn't started out as a lie.

You may not believe that right now but it is the truth, my darling. I never meant to lie to you, I never so much as dreamed of hurting you. It only just started out as a...a question. A curiosity. I had seen it in your mind, a passing thought that shouldn't have meant anything to anyone...but it meant something to me.

"Dark eyes."

You rather liked them, apparently, more then any other eye color. And I could not stop myself from trying it for myself, forcing my own eyes to shift into a dark, chocolate like brown. It was such a small thing but it lead me to a question:

What else did you like?

What else did you dream of?

Everyone has a perfect person, a dream of sorts. And yours lay deep within your mind, created of little things, little likes and dislikes and more. It was wrong, I knew that. Rummaging through your mind and stealing little bits of it for myself...I should not have done it. But I did. I could not stop myself from entering your mind time and time again, finding little pieces of when I needed, picking them out and stitching them together.

"Dark hair."

"A nice smile."

"Loves books as much as I do, and dogs too."

"Hardworking and loyal."

"Strong hands."

"A secret romantic."

I could not stop myself form taking these little thoughts and creating...him.

Eric Falsus.

It wasn't hard for me to create another identity, this one that was just more fit for your liking. And I must admit, I excused such a thing based on the fact that I had...meddled before. Scaring other people away, using my abilities to my advantage.

Perhaps those other things might make you unhappy but this was better, wasn't it? You would certainly like him, wouldn't you?

Eric was everything you had wanted, a perfect person made just for you. He was an English professor, quick witted and intelligent. He was taking a break form teaching to work on his book, moving from his home city to your apartment building. For him, it was a place to focus on his work. For me, it was a step closer to you. After months and months of dreaming of being close to you, I finally was.

And as excited as I felt, I was also terribly nervous. Stepping out of that elevator was nerve-wracking, each step bringing me closer to you...

I could only wonder if you would like this new me...

To my joy, you did. Right away, you were smiling (at me!) and talking with me...we had only ever talked in snippets, only while I was disguised as random people in your life. You must forgive me, darling, I only wanted to be close to you! I only wanted to talk to you...and now we were, talking and laughing and having such a wonderful time...and I loved it. Every second spent together, every smile you gave me...it was so perfect.

"Well, it's nice to meet you...?"

"Eric. Eric Falsus. It's a pleasure to meet you, Y/N."

It was a pleasure, being able to see you everyday. Finally being able to talk to you and gaze at you, finally being close to you was just so wonderful...oh, it was everything I had dreamed it would be! Your thoughts would slowly drift over to mine from across the way, sweet little things that I had such a hunger for...