Chapter 3

Below, a unicorn named Fantine turns and calls to Jean Valjean while he is in his office above with a sharp cry.

"Monsieur Mayor,  help me! I have a foal!" The unicorn cried.

Valjean hears Fantine's cry, but had other concerns at the time, turning to face Javert, who just stares at him. On the floor below, the Forepony throws Fantine out as the poor unicorn struggles against him, totally defenceless.

"Javert, Inspector of Police." Javert said after he bowed, "I've come to keep guard and keep the peace. Please know me as Javert. I'm at your command, young stallion with honour. With justice belonging to us, nopony is beyond our reach. Equestria, beware!" 

"Welcome, sir. Come guard the laws we hold so high and dear." Valjean said. 

Javert looked through the window on the top floor of the factory, which showed stallions leaving for the day. 

"You've made Equestria proud! You manufacture gems that anypony can buy." Javert said, "Ponies thrive because of it!"

"The dignity of toil to stay alive." Valjean said.

"Don't I know you from somewhere?" Javert asked, "It seems that we have met before."

"I would never forget your face." Replied Valjean.

The two ponies hurried out across the factory yard and down a muddy trail just to discover a horrifying sight. There was a stallion who was trampled on top of a cart. Both the stallion and the Forepony struggle to lift this heavy as a rock cart and the crushed stallion, but they fail. 

Immediately, Valjean and Javert notice that something is definitely wrong, rushing to their aid along with the help of Javert's assistant. But no luck. The cart just seemed to sink, pushing poor pegasus worker, Fauchelevent along with it. 

Finally, Valjean found a way to solve the problem. The Earth pony threw himself underneath the higher end of the cart and used the strength that Earth ponies are known to have, bracing himself as he lifted the cart. 

"Watch out! It might fall!" He warned.

"No, Monsieur le Mayor!" The Forepony cried, "It'll kill you!"

Standing back, a memory comes to Javert right at that very moment. Valjean notices and knows exactly what the stallion was thinking as if  to read his mind, hesitating. Fauchelevent choked and screamed as the mud in his mouth caused him to gag. Jean Valjean helps the stallion. Afterwards, he finds Javert looking at him once again. 

"Can this possibly be true? I don't believe it! How are you this strong?" Javert wondered aloud, "You remind of somepony who broke his parole and disappeared." 

Javert shook his head.

"Forgive me, I wouldn't dare." He said.

"Go on and say what you must." Valjean said. 

Turning to Fauchelevent, he held out his hoof and the pegasus grabs it, groaning as he stands up back on his hooves.

"Thank you, sir." Fauchelevent said.

"No problem." Jean Valjean replied, "Just no more cart driving! You could get hurt again!"

Javert has grown  even more suspicious of Valjean, and who could blame him? He bows and trots away, discussing something with his assistant. 

At that moment, Fantine heads to the harbour wall and into an alleyway, where three ships are docked in the mud. At the end, the unicorn could see an old warship. Then, somepony, a whore pony to be exact, caught her eye. The whore was sitting in the doorway.