at the end

lazing on a sunday afternoon can be a good song to listen while reading this chapter
Joe's POV

Saturday was ordinary. Ben and Joe ate their meals sitting everywhere but the table, Ben played the drums to Joe, they watched movies and listened to music, talking, talking and more talking as the day went by.

But... but there was something. Joe was Sure. In the morning, when Ben cleaned Joe's cheek, and after when he was making pancakes and he caught his friend staring. Throughout the day Joe could feel something, he was sure. When they were doing dishes, their hands would lightly brush every now and then, while drumming Ben would look at Joe, if they were watching movies Ben would sit closer and if they were listening to music Ben would sing the songs almost as if he was singing them to Joe not with him.

And still. And still, he'd talk about Maddie, and his eyes still would get watered and his voice still would drop every time he said her name.

"You're imagining things Joe. Ben doesn't like you, you're creating an illusion. He's obviously very much attached to that little bastard of a girl, Maddie. How could she leave him like this? Was she ever interested in Ben? Because when I see him, there's no way I'm not interested in him. And not romantically speaking! He's complex, and intricate, and fun and beautiful, and she just let him go, breaking his heart on a million tiny pieces!"

Joe had to take his mind off of it, just the thought of someone breaking Ben's heart made Joe irritable. Ben was this little angel with a rockstar dream, talented, funny, and well, Joe couldn't leave it, Ben was handsome. No one is deserving of a broken heart, even less him.

Nevertheless all of Joe's anger, he took one look at Ben, that was lying on the couch, and felt all of that go away. He could get used to sharing an apartment with Ben, he could get used quite easily in fact. He liked Ben, it was not a light crush, he actually liked him, and that could bring him big problems; he'd either keep all bottled up and feel terrible or tell Ben and get a big ol' "I don't feel the same way, I'm sorry Joe. Still friends right?".

"Why do emotions have to be so complicated?" Joe wondered getting up the floor to make a cup of coffee. He smelled the bitter scent of espresso and stared once again at him, the midday sun on his golden hair, not even the dry drool on his cheek could make him look less than handsome. Joe had woken up at 8:39, he had slept eight full hours the night before, something that he hadn't done for years. It's a cliché, but the first time Joe slept somewhere after spending the day with Ben he slept well.

Joe heard a yawn, Ben waking up, exactly at 12:12pm, with messy hair, dry drool on his cheek and goop in his eyes. He looked stunning.

— Morning Joe... what time is it?
— Morning sleeping beauty, it's 12:12. Actually 12:13 now. Do you want tea or coffee?
— Tea please... wait, 12? How long did I sleep?
— You slept 14 hours or so. You tried to stay awake with me last night but you just were too tired because of the all nighter we pulled before. It's alright though, I slept eight hours tonight, not a frequent thing.
— You did? That's amazing! So, what do you want to have for lunch?
— We could go out and have tacos, what do you think?
— Tacos sounds good...
— But?
— But I could take you to my actual house and make something, I did grocery shopping last week.
— D-do you want me to go to your house?
— Well, actually we could just go there to pick the food. Lucy's kitchen is much nicer and my apartment is shameful.

Joe thought he looked like an absolute idiot, why would Ben want him at his house? That was just stupid.

— Well, let's get going then!

Ben and Joe went to the station and waited for the train. As soon as they hopped in it, Ben pulled his earphones out of his pocket and gave one of the buds to Joe. They both sat down and Ben played Purple Rain, by prince.

Joe, once again was freaking out over something Ben has done. The verses echoed in his head.

"Only wanted to see you laughing"
"I never wanted to be your weekend lover"
"It's time we all reach out for something new, that means you too"

It was not a romantic song only, Joe knew but this time he couldn't listen very clearly to any other meaning. He glanced to see Ben mouthing those lines, and those lines only, apart from the chorus.

When they got off the train, Joe was red like a tomato and absolutely startled, so much that Ben had to drag Joe by the wrist from out of the train or else he'd get left behind. And when Ben grabbed his wrist Joe felt even more frozen than he already was, that guy sure did something to him. When they got up the stairs and faced the cold air of London, Ben stopped and looked around, which confused Joe a lot. It was already close to one, soon enough it would be quite late for lunch.

— Hey mate?
— Yeah?
— Do you mind changing plans?
— Not at all. Whatcha got in mind?
— There's... there's this fish and chips place. It's not fancy or anything, but the shop was originally in Bournemouth, my hometown. When I moved to London, they practically moved in with me. I got here, and then three months later here they were. — Ben paused for a second, zoning out a bit — Anyway, it's nice and it reminds me of my childhood. The owners are really nice and I think...
— Ben, it sounds great, let's go.

Ben smiled in relief, nodding and heading towards the place. It seemed like somewhere special, somewhere Ben probably would like to be taking Maddie — not Joe.

HAHDJDNDBDJSBSSH idk what to think about this chapter but here it is i guess =)