Chapter Nine

------------------------------------------------------------

Not everyone is who you think they are

------------------------------------------------------------

"Where did Captain America learn how to steal a car?" Natasha asked as she turned her head to face Steve. Steve chuckled and still looked forward.

"Nazi Germany," Steve said, they passed the New Jersey sign. Ana lay on the seat, she focused on listening to the conversation than wondering what happened to her papa. "And we are borrowing. Take your feet off the dash."

"Alright, I have a question for you, oh, which you don't have to answer. I feel like if you don't answer though, you're kind of answering it. You know." Natasha asked.

"What?" Steve asked

"Was that your first kiss since 1945?" Ana shot up and smacked her head against the window, he didn't look like he was from 1945, he didn't look old like her Keeper. 

"That bad, huh?" Steve chuckled. Ana was still lost. Natasha looked back at her daughter and giggled at the confused look on her face. 

"I didn't say that." Natasha laughed.

"Well, it kind of sounds like that's what you're saying."

"No, I didn't. I just wondered how much practice you've had." Natasha said.

"You don't need practice." Ana looked at her mom and gave her a please-explain look, Ana was taught some maths in her life but that was absurd, how can someone look like he was 23 but be from 1945. 

"Everybody needs practice." Natasha chuckled, she gave Ana an I-will-explain-later look and got a blank glare in return from her daughter. 

"It was not my first kiss since 1945. I'm 95 I'm not dead." Steve deadpanned. Ana's confusion grew more. James had told her that he was from a different time, that he was much older than her, maybe with the freezing, he was just as old as the Captain. 

"Nobody special?" Natasha asked as she looks at Ana. She missed her lover, the father of her child. Ana just reminded her of James and how much life had changed since then.

"Believe it or not, its kind of hard to find someone with shared life experience," Steve said, Ana just looked down and remembered her father. Her father had the same life experiences as Natasha, almost. 

"Well, that's alright. You just make something up." the red-head said.

"What, like you?" Steve asked. He didn't want to question the child in the back, and how he recognized the long brown hair.

"I don't know. The truth is a matter of circumstance. You tell the whole truth to someone, you just make something up." Natasha said. 

"That a tough way to live."

"It's a good way not to die, (though)" Ana said. She had understood everything that Natasha had said. She had to mask herself until she was alone with her father.

"You know, it's kind of hard to trust someone when you don't know you that person really is."

"Well, what do you want me to be?" Natasha asked.

"How about a friend?" Steve asked, she carefully looked at the red-haired assassin.

"There is a chance you might be in the wrong business, Rogers." Silence filled the car and Ana saw this as an opportunity to clear the confusion.