The Procedure

A/N: Yoooo! I haven't updated his story in such a long time. I had a huge burst of motivation this week, so here it is! Now, I'm thinking of just updating stories as I finish them from now on. It just feels better to do it that way, so my updates will be sporadic, but there will be at least one a week! I think it'll just motivate me a bit more to write. So anyway, hope this chapter is good!

***

NEW YORK WAS JUST AS BUSTLING AS it always is. Cars drove down the many roads, children played in the streets, and people idly walked on the sidewalk. Sitting in one of those cars, sliding across the cracked asphalt, Steve looked through the windows watching alleyways pass by. He was doing his best to try and distract himself for the time being. After all, today was the big day. His life was about to change if this experiment really worked. Though he had faith in Dr. Erskine's ability to get this procedure to work smoothly.

Next to Steve, Delphia fidgeted in her seat and wrung her fingers together. She did her best to try and hide the nervous feeling that chilled her to her bones. The Volva already knew how this day was going to go and she hated it. It was moments like these that her blessing of foresight really felt like a curse. This felt almost as horrible as the vision that had given her cause to leave her home. This time it involved someone who she had come to know and admire. Abraham has become her good friend, and she certainly wasn't ready to see him go. Though that may be one reason she never really left her home. Certain beings, especially on Midgard, had such short life spans. Why would she want to get attached to someone who would die within a short span of time? She lived for hundreds of years! Midgardians had such fickle lives that she would compare to those of a pet. Still, to make that connection with someone and to see their life taken in such a horrific way and before he was really meant to pass on, was even more heartbreaking than the fact that he had a short life, to begin with.

As Delphia continued to wallow in her own sorrowful thoughts, recognition flashed through Steve's blue eyes as he looked out the window. "I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley." He pointed out, "And that parking lot. And behind that diner." He trailed off realizing that he probably shouldn't be pointing out how many times he had lost fights to the women in the car.

From the front passenger seat, Peggy turned around to look at the small man. One of her thin eyebrows was raised in question, "Did you have something against running away?"

"You start running, they'll never let you stop." Steve said strongly and straightened himself in his seat, "You stand up, push back. Can't say no forever, right?"

Delphia's admiration for his words broke through her worrying thoughts. For a moment, just a short moment, Steve had distracted her from the devastating images that were invading her mind. She smiled softly, though wasn't nearly as large as they usually are, "Very wise words, Steven."

"Oh, uh," his eyes widened at having been complimented by her. Sure, they've known each other for a while now and we're friends, however, he was still flustered whenever she did something like this. Who wouldn't be flustered by this goddess of a woman?! "I guess they are."

Peggy smiled at the interaction as she found it quite adorable. She cleared her throat to get the two to focus on something other than each other. "I know a little of what that's like. To have every door shut in your face."

"I guess I just don't know why you'd wanna join the army if you're a beautiful dame." He caught himself, seeing as he said something that would embarrass himself. He began to stutter over his words, "Or a beautiful... a woman. An agent, not a dame! You are beautiful, but..."

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Peggy asked, on the verge of laughing at Steve's unfortunate lack of social skills with the opposite gender. Though she found it quite cute, in a way.