season 1, episode 3. "extra ordinary"

word count: 7507

~ third person pov ~

~ 5 years ago ~

"My name is Vanya Hargreeves, and this is my story."

DJ hummed as he bobbed his head to the music that blasted in his wireless headphones as he strolled down the streets of Los Angeles, he was currently visiting to do a LIVE performance at a rally along with his friends, they were personally asked to do this as well so they were even more eager to do it. It wasn't the first time he's been asked to do performances, though this was one of the times he's done it in a different city. He chuckles to himself when he passed a store that was selling comic books of him and his siblings during their time at the Umbrella Academy, he almost misses those days, especially when Ben was involved. He hates admitting it, but he was definitely the mum out of all his siblings.

'Can't believe they still sell those...' he thought as he walked passed it, that was until something caught his eye that caused him to stop dead in his tracks and do the moonwalk back to the display, his eyes widened when he saw what was on display, "Extra Ordinary, by Vanya Hargreeves.", a giant smile grew on his face as he pulled his headphones down.

"She wrote a book..." he muttered before bolting into the store and buying a copy, he looks down at it and grins "Ooo, I know it's gonna be good."

"We were never a real family."

DJ frowned when he read that line, I mean, there might have been a few complications, such as a robot for a mother and a cold hearted man for a father, not to mention they had a talking chimp as well, but they still had each other and that's what mattered.

"DJ." the voice of a man had said, though he got no response "Oi, DJ." he still got nothing, just the noise of DJ flipping a page, he sighed and walked over to him then smacked his forehead.

"Ah!" he looks up and saw it was one of his friends, going by the name of Benjamin Grant, the bass player of the group.

"We're doing a practice and our main guitarist and vocalist seems to have their nose in a book." he chuckles nervously and scratches the back of his neck.

"Well, my sister wrote a book about our family and I really want to read it." he goes to go back to reading it but another hand had grabbed the book and closed it, the man responsible was Chase Stone, the drummer.

"And you can continue reading, after rehearsal." DJ pouts.

"Fine."

"We were our father's creations, family in name, but not in fact."

"You were a great crowd! Thanks for having us!" Alec Jade, the backup vocalist and guitarist, cheered just as he and his friends went back behind stage, almost immediately DJ went back to reading the book "Dude, seriously?"

"Screw off, AJ (alec jade)."

"Such a creative nickname, DJ."

"Thanks Benny boy." Chase snorts.

"In the end, after our brother Ben had died, there was really nothing connecting us. We were strangers living under the same roof."