CHAPTER 6: ...Fulbourne Road, UK - December

Mum's tried to decorate again, except it's all cheap shit from Argos and Wayfair. Along with all the crap she brought back from the home in south London, I don't think there's any free space available for another of her trinkets. It feels like a staged house for an elderly woman. Except instead of pictures of family and shit, it's a collage of painting that don't belong anywhere.

Four years ago I said I was a hoarder in a game. I'm not the hoarder. My mother is.

She comes out with steaming tea. It's 11 Centigrade, so I don't want to touch it. She also brings out some chocolate-covered digestive biscuits. She puts them on a flowery plate in the middle of the table. There's one of those lacy white things under it.

"'ow do you like the new place?" she asks. Mum's grinning like she won it in the lottery. I'm tempted to tell her it's just a council flat. "Nicer place than last, innit?"

I look down and take a digestive. "Hm," is all I say. Because I liked the last house we had. I grew up there. I met Steve in the school district there. We were there for, like, 15 years.

"So," she says, putting down her mug. "Why'd you come visit? You usually call."

I eye her. "Oh, uh..." I take out my phone and unlock it. "I, uh...wanted to show you who I'm with."

I don't know how she reacts because I'm not watching her. But she says, "Who you're with now?"

"Yeah. I wanted to show you now." I bring up a picture of me and Murph from 11 months ago. "That's him." I hold back a smile. Because Murph's cute. His dimples make it better.

She sighs as she puts on her glasses. "Can't see nuthin'," she mutters, moving the phone back and forth. Like she's trying to focus it. Mum squints and goes, "Huh."

My stomach twists. I've heard that before. "Yes. It's a guy."

"Oh," is all she says. Mum gives me back my phone and takes her tea.

"His name's Murph."

"The fuck name is that?"

"The fuck name is 'Gwynnith'?" I tilt my head to the side and smile.

She looks up from her mug. "Wha's wrong with 'im?"

"Nothing. He's-he's smart. And he's sure of himself. We have a good laugh together." I pause. "I think you'd actually like him."

Mum frowns. "And he knows about your..." She brings the mug back up to her lips, watching me.

I'm about to say "At least I haven't cheat on him", but then Michael walks in with my brother. They have bags from Tescos.

Mum hits me. "Go 'elp them," she says. But she doesn't get up to help.

"Tommy, what're you doin' 'ere?" asks Michael, patting my back. He drops two bags in one hand and says, "Those go in the closet." Then he goes over to Mum.

I follow my brother to the kitchen. It makes me think of one of those Victorian kitchens, where one side is just appliances, and the other is basically just a sink with not enough counter space or storage. "How's uni, Gavin?"

He looks at me. His eyes are sunken and he has this expression on his face like he's ready to die. "I shouldn't of let Michael pick my studies." He unloads three bags on the counter and adds, "He said law would be good for me."

"That's why I didn't go." Well, one of the reasons why.

"Lucky bastard." He begins putting things away. "How've you been?" Gavin isn't looking at me anymore.