...Monroe Avenue

There's a part of me that really fucking hates Murph so goddamn much. And it's a good reason, too.

He has all my favourite bands on this shitty iPod. Every song I've ever mentioned in our calls and messages. There's even background music from videos we've watched that I said that I liked.

The guy's a fuckin' nutjob.

But then he looks at me and asks, "You okay?" Dimples.

I puff out my cheeks. "You did good with the music." I say it only because I feel like I should.

I don't wanna because Lizzie's looking at us from the rearview mirror. She's been glaring at us for the past hour. She only stops when we get to Murph's house. Which looks different because it isn't Murph's house anymore. It's mine now, too.

Wow, that's weird.

"You okay?" Murph asks. He's already gotten out of the car. But he's watching me like I have this sad, crying look on my face.

"Mhm," I say, nodding. Half-true. I get out and grab my backpack from the trunk.

"Jetlagged at all?" he asks.

"No, Pup."

He sighs and nods his head. Murph's not smiling. He snakes his hand into mine and squeezes it. "Just breathe, Tommy."

I blink. "I am."

"I'm right here." He says it in a low voice, like he's trying to calm a screaming child.

I swallow and look away. "I wanna get unpacked."

Murph nods and leads me inside.

Lizzie's recording a video of us. "And here's my dummy brother's British boyfriend. Yeah, he's, like, moving in 'cuz they're getting married." She makes this gulp sound and squeals.

Murph's eye's drop.

"Elizabeth?" I ask, gritting my teeth.

She spins to look at me. Dramatically spins. She has a hand over her chest and gasps. "Ohmigod, that's the first time you've ever called me by my name! I'm gonna crey!"

I grab the phone out of her hand. I let go of Murph and step forward. "My fiancé's not dumb. And if you call him dumb again, I'm gonna shove this phone so far down your throat that – " And I clear my throat. Because this part's gotta be nasally. " – you can, like, record your insides for all your followers. Hashtag OMG B.F. TALKS HAHHAHA." My eyes glance at the thing and it's still recording.

Murph snorts.

Lizzie's horrified and backs away.

I spin the phone around and look at me. "Lizzie, if you records us again, I'm gonna break this fuckin' thing in half. Didja get that?" And then I stop recording. And just for good measure, I squeeze the phone between my fingers. I only stop when the screen actually fucking cracks. Just a little, though.

Thank God his aunt isn't there. She'd tear me a new one.

I toss the phone back to her.

Murph's little sister shows up on the landing on the stairs.

I'm related to her now. Kinda. I still don't know her name. This is a problem.

"Come downstairs," Murph sighs. "Auntie'll be mad if you're not down."

She shakes her head. "Just 'cuz your boyfriend's coming to stay with us doesn't mean it's a New Years party."

Murph rolls his eyes. He pushes back his glasses. "He's not visiting, Brooke. He's staying."

Wait, "Brooke"? Really?

She wrinkles her nose. "Ugh, another annoying boy in the house." She turns and goes back upstairs.

Lizzie goes to the kitchen, muttering something about me. I don't care.

I hear Murph swallow. "Let's go up." He grabs my bag and waddles up. He looks back at me when he gets to the landing and tilts his head. "Come on."

Little sister's bedroom door is closed.

"Sorry."

He looks at me. "What?"

I lick my lips. "I...kinda feel like it's my fault. You not being able to move out."

Murph walks over to me and shuts the door. "It's okay. A technicality, at best." He grabs my hands. "This gives me the opportunity to...save more. Spend time with you." He smiles. But then in a second, it's gone. "I kind of feel the same way."

I sigh. "Y'know it's not your fault."

"It feels like it is," he mumbles. "If only I'd worked more." His eyes drop. "My mom and dad were moved out already when they were engaged."

"Hey." He doesn't look at me. My fingers go under his chin. His face comes back up. "I think your mum'd be real proud of you, Pup."

His face relaxes. Murph puts my hand on his cheek and squishes his face. He inhales. "I'm glad you're here."

I hug him. "Me, too." And we just kinda stay like that for a little while because he gives good hugs. Dunno about me, but he's real cuddly.

At one point, he inhales and holds me tighter. "Thanks, Tommy."

I kiss his forehead. "Can you help me unpack?"

He snorts and pulls back. "I've already emptied out a couple drawers for you," he says, pointing to his dresser. "And if you need it, I've cleared out my closet for you, too."

I pat his shoulder. "God, I love you." And I go to my bag. "Hey, weren't you gonna start calling me 'cat' at one point?"

Murph blinks and then gasps. "Oh yeah," he says nonchalantly. "Eh. You know you're a cat. I don't need to reiterate it."

"But 'Pup' still works?"

He shrugs. "I didn't say it made sense." And then he smiles. God those dimples're cute.

He helps me unpack.

His aunt gets home a couple hours later and we order pizza.

For a 'welcome home' party, it's nice.