...Whitehall Court (A Vignette) - December

I take a moment to slip out, also since I've been working four about 5 hours straight. I get five minutes, and I call Murph.

"Tommy!" he shouts. I can tell he's smiling.

"Hi, Pup," I whisper, heading out towards the back.

"Are you on your break? Can we video call?"

I take in a breath. "I've only five minutes." I pause. "I don't think I'll be able to call at midnight."

"That's okay," he says, voice staying cheerful. "I didn't think you could."

"Still, I'm sorry."

"Tommy, don't be." He's still smiling. I can hear it. "Sure, I'd love to have seen you tonight, but...I'll definitely see you next New Years, right?"

I sigh and look down. "Yeah." But the tinge of guilt in my stomach says I should still feel bad. So I clear my throat and ask, "What're your plans...for New Years?"

Murph inhales. "Making a frozen pizza. Binge-watching long distance videos and then...writing you a really long message telling you how much I miss you. And that I love you." He takes another breath. His words have slowed down. He isn't smiling anymore. Murph's turned thoughtful. "And that, even though my telling you all this is really counterproductive to your working tonight...I'd finish by saying, that I can't wait for you to be here with me." Murph's breath is shaking.

I want to tell him to stop because it isn't making this any easier. Because I would fly back to him if I had the chance. That it isn't the same as being next to him. That being on two continents halfway across the world, separated by 6 time zones and bad WiFi.

Talking to him. Touching him.

But he can't fly here. And I can't fly there.

I don't know when it'll end.

"I love you, Murph."

Murph doesn't say anything at first. And then he whispers back, "I love you, too, Tommy."

"You have a good New Year, 'kay?"

"I-I will." He pauses. "Don't wear yourself out too badly, okay? I want to talk to you tomorrow."

I smirk. "I promise, I'll try."

"Okay." He yawns. "...do you have to go back?"

"...yeah."

"Well...then I hope I hope the rest of your night's productive and, as relaxed it can be."

"Maguire," someone calls. Sean's standing by the door back into the event room. "Time's up."

I nod and turn away. "I gotta go."

"I know."

"...I love you, Murph."

"I love you, too, Tommy."

And I go back to work.