CHAPTER 10: ...Inner Ring E, UK - July

Jessie, Steve, and Gavin followed me on the Underground. They looked like a sad entourage of mourners. Except now they're just waiting for me to either die or get buried.

When we get to Heathrow, they trail me like lost animals thinking I'm their mother. They stay with me until I pick up my tickets at the front desk. Even when I drop off my bags they're following me.

"Guys, stop."

Jess is crying now, and it's fucking disgusting. "We're gonna miss you!"

Steve pats her on the shoulder, and she turns to begin crying into Gavin's. He steps over and pats my arm. "Let me know when you land, yeah?" Steve gives me a smile and wraps his arm around my neck. "You sure about this?"

I shrug. "Doesn't seem to make sense anymore to go back now." Paperwork submitted in July, interview ten months later, and visa received a month after that. And I wouldn't let Murph come visit because there was never a clear point when the process would end until it was announced.

It's not like ordering pizza and they send you updates. Like, "HEY MARK JUST THREW IN YOUR PAPERWORK FOR PROCESSING ON 3 NOVEMBER."

And if he wants to move out, he can't come visit me anymore.

Now I'm hungry for pizza.

I inhale. "Besides, Murph's waiting for me on the other end. Wouldn't want to disappoint him."

Steve purses his lips. "Good." He pulls me closer. "Not gonna lie, he's more fun than you."

"Wow." We grin at each other laugh. "There's not gonna be another roommate like you, Steve."

He sniffs and hugs me tight. "Be safe, okay, mate?" I pat his back in response. "Jess n' I'll come visit when we have the chance."

I smile and nod again. And Steve moves off to Jess.

Gavin shuffles his way towards me. "So...you're really leavin'?"

I turn, backpack filled to the brim with everything. "If it ain't, then I'll be surprised." I move closer to him. "I'm glad you're gonna be taking my spot in the flat. Steve needs someone from our family to fuck shit up with." We smirk, but it feels forced. "Sorry I was such a shit older brother."

"Nah, don't be," he whispers. "You're makin' up for it, right?" He bumps my shoulder. Gavin exhales and looks at me. "I have...something for you." He glances to the far end of the terminal.

Mum and Michael're standing by a thin pillar, almost out of sight of us. But they're watching us from the corners of their eyes.

I sigh and shake my head. "...why, Gavin?"

"It was Mum's idea." Gavin pats my arm. "And I'm fuckin' certain Murph'd want you to say bye to them, too."

What's worse is that he's right.

My steps feel heavy as I dodge people heading in and out of the ticket hall. When I get to them, I cross my arms and sigh. "What?"

Mum's teary-eyed and hugs me. She breathes in deeply, and slips me a folded envelope. "Be safe, yeah?" She pulls back, hands on my shoulder, and nods at me, like she already knows my answer. "Oh, my baby boy..." she whispers, thumb stroking my cheek. "You'll call, won't you?"

I pull away. I'm...not totally sure how to react to this.

"Safe travels," Michael whispers. He pats my arm and nods, a small, proud-looking smile on his face.

I turn and walk back to my friends. And I'm so fucking confused as to what just happened.

"Satisfied?" asks Gavin. His hands're in his pockets and he's got this smug-ass grin that just makes me wanna slap it off.

"I'm sure Murph'll be."

Gavin's grin grows, and he hugs me. "Call when you can?"

"Will do."

Jessie come in, fanning her eyes. Her makeup's running. She looks great. "Who'm I gonna call my OTP now?"

Wow. This is the shortest conversation I've ever had.

"Okay, I'm off," I announce, though this just makes Jessie begin to cry more. Steve hugs me one more time, Gavin wishes me safe travels, and Jessie pounces on me and openly begins sobbing.

Mum and Michael just watch from across the room, nodding their farewells.

And with that, I turn, roller bag in hand, and backpack on my shoulders.

I'm early to the gate, but that's the point. I take out my phone and call Murph, but it goes right to voicemail. I message him instead. Because I figured I'd catch him next on my layover in Dublin.

Except I don't. At first. He's sent me something to calm me.

Someone very famous once said, "I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it."
And I know you're nervous. But know that I'll be walking down that path with you.
Have a safe flight, and I'll talk to you in Dublin, okay?

I sigh and press my phone to my face. Because of course my nerdy fiancé would know I'm nervous. Not just to travel, but to...start all over again.

But I inhale and write back before turning it off to save battery life.

thanks, murph. i love you
illsee you in dublin, luv