...Park Avenue, USA (A Vignette) - March

I never thought I'd say this, but Murph's house sucks ass. All the windows are open in his room, and the place smells like a steamy bathroom for fish.

This is why I'm glad we're walking back together from the theater.

He's complaining about some students who'd come to see the show and ended up disrupting the entire first act. They were asked to leave, and according to Murph, they didn't leave without breaking something in the lobby.

"...you done?" I ask.

His hand snakes into mine. "I'm done," Murph whispers, his eyes still down on the sidewalk. "I'm sorry," he says, blue eyes finding me. "You're here to visit me. I shouldn't be the one complaining."

I shrug. "Life goes on for you. Mine's on pause until I get back."

Murph keeps his eyes at me. "How is the new job?"

"It's fine, I guess. Pay's good. The regulars are the decent sort."

He squeezes my hand and sighs. "I wish you could come with us."

I sigh, too. This is the seventh time he's brought up New Years. His aunt's taking him and his sisters to Florida. And considering the last time they went on vacation together, which was, like, two years ago, it's been a long time coming.

"Luv, I'm sorry."

"I know." He looks at me and smiles. It's this sad, forced one. "Doesn't mean I can't guilt you a little."

"Wow. Monster."

Murph tries to hide his smile. His dimples give it away.

I turn my head and watch a car roll by. "Would you want to meet my family?"

He turns his head so fast I think he's about to snap his neck. "Yes! Is that even a question?" Then Murph steps back, brows furrowed. "What brought this on?"

I drop his hand and scratch the back of my neck. "Look, I know you're sad I can't come with you - "

"I'm heartbroken," he says, deadpan. "Soooooo heartbroke. Do you see how heartbroke I am?"

I snort. "Stop it." I punch his arm and we keep walking. "All I'm sayin' is that...I want to make it up to you."

Murph smiles. "When were you thinking of inviting me?" His hands snake around my arm.

"Well, first, I might haveta tell them the thingy. But I wanted to see if you were onboard, first."

He squeezes my arm. "Yeah. I'm onboard." Murph inhales. "What does a trainwreck of a family look like?"

I pat him on the head. "I can tell you aaalll about them when we get back to your house. Okay?"

Murph's bouncing. It makes it really hard to walk.

It's not even that cute right now. It's just annoying.