Chapter Four

It was the next morning, and Kara made sure to wake up bright and early. She was in the Grand Hall early and when she saw the familiar long raven hair at the end of the Slytherin table, alone, her smile grew wider.

"Hello, Lena Luthor." She chirped and slid onto the bench opposite the girl. Lena looked up from her untouched apple, her expression noticeably softening at Kara's presence.
"Hello, Kara Danvers."

The two sat in silence for a few minutes, pretending not to stare at each other when the other looked back. At the open door, three seventh year girls strutted in. One from Slytherin and two from Ravenclaw. Their attention immediately diverted to the Luthor and their destination was set.

Lena quickly turned at the mention of her last name.
"Luthor. There you are." The centre girl folded her arms as their pace slowed down, about ten metres away, but the Grand Hall was relatively quiet and their immediate insults were heard by everyone.

Lena held her breath and rose to her feet. Kara furrowed her eyebrows and watched as Lena walked away as quickly as possible. She sent a glare at the three girls, who were now laughing, and stood up herself. She grabbed the apple that was left on Lena's plate and rushed after her.

As she raced out into the hallway, she say the end of a black robe swing around a corner. The library. Kara picked up her pace and followed on into the library. No one was in there. She listened closely and finally heard the soft breathing; Following it, she walked over to one of the many aisles of bookshelves.

Lena sat, her legs bent beside her, against one of the bookshelves. Her hands were already holding open a thick book as she pulled all of her focus into it.
"Lena." She softly spoke, taking a step forward each time she breathed out. Lena refused to look up, but her jaw clenched tightly. "Lena, are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Lena said coldly, her eyes never looking up from the pages. Kara bit her bottom lip and slowly sat down beside her; She pulled out the red apple that she had previously stuffed in her robe pocket.

"I-I - You didn't eat." Kara reminded her and held it in the palm of her hand.
"Neither did you." She fired back. Kara looked down and then back up again.
"You're more important than some pancakes."

With that, Lena glanced up from the book and stared into Kara's diluted blue eyes with lots of confusion. The blonde took that was a 'What do you mean?' and expanded. "You're officially my friend now, a-and you're not going to push me away that easily."

Kara noticed the smile that arrived and vanished on Lena's lips in a blink of a second. She seemed to be in her head, thinking about something intensely. You're not worthy. You're just another Luthor. Luthors don't have friends.
"Luthors don't have friends." Lena repeated from her mind.

"W-Lena, you're not- you're not like Lex." Kara started and placed her other hand on Lena's leg. The raven haired girl glanced down in shock and Kara immediately retreated.

Lex was one of the most powerful and dangerous wizards. Famous to every non-muggle in the world. Lex Luthor, the reason Lena Luthor isn't free.

"I've told you once and I'll tell you again. You are not Lex, and your last name does not define you." Kara never moved her gaze from the bright green eyes, which seemed to be covered by a shield of tears. Before Kara could ask or comfort her, Lena blinked them away and looked at the shiny red apple.

"I-I've never had real friends." She spoke, barely audible. Kara kept her hand steady with the apple delicately in the centre and looked at it, also.
"Well, you do now. Aren't you hungry?"

"...A little."

The pair stayed silent for a moment as Lena's hand hesitantly left her book and reached for the piece of fruit. Her fingers gently wrapped around it and she tried to ignore the tingling sensation she felt when her skin touched Kara's palm. Kara grew a smile as Lena slowly raised the apple to her mouth and took a small bite. "Thank you." Lena softly spoke after swallowing.