Chapter Twelve

The next day

Nothing more had happened in the infirmary.
Lena entered the room after Alex left and returned to her place on the hospital bed. They fell asleep, side by side, until the morning.

The nurse announced that Kara was fine to leave and so the pair did.

~~~

The Hufflepuff girl's dorm was a lot different to the Slytherin's. It was brighter in so many ways. The wooden flooring was bleached, the beds were decorated with yellow bunting and more party decorations and silver chandeliers hung from the ceiling.

Lena and Kara were laying on the floor, staring up at the ceiling. Kara was wearing jeans and a Hufflepuff sweatshirt. Lena was also wearing jeans... and a Hufflepuff sweatshirt, but hers was grey instead of a dull yellow like Kara's.

"D-Do you have nightmares... often?" Kara asked quietly, but it still startled Lena. The raven haired girl was following the pattern in the ceiling as she responded.
"Yes." Her voice was barely audible. Kara hadn't known why she'd asked and could only manage to turn her head to face Lena and show a sympathetic frown.

Lena noticed her movement and quickly looked back at Kara with a questioning look.
"Why'd you ask?"

"Oh- I- I guess I'm just trying to... figure you out." Kara chose her words carefully.

"Figure me out?" Lena teased and chuckled, raising a perfectly sculpted eyebrow. She slid onto her side and placed a hand in between them.

"I don't know much about you, and I think- I think I want that to change." Kara spoke softly, gazing into those green orbs. Lena was gazing back and smiled without realising. She quickly turned it into a smirk.

"Well... You may ask me questions." She shrugged as much as she could leaning on one shoulder. Kara bit her bottom lip.
"How come you're in Slytherin?" She asked. Lena parted her lips to answer, but inhaled and furrowed her eyebrows when she realised she didn't have an answer. Well, she did, but she wasn't too sure if she wanted anyone to know. But she trusted Kara, right?

"I'm a Luthor." She simply stated.
"Oh come on, Lee. We both know the sorting hat doesn't judge you like that."

Lena was once again taken back by Kara using a nickname for her. Her breathing became uneven, but manageable, as she spoke again.
"My Mother- I'm very sure she had something to do with it. She never told me, but the last thing she said before leaving was 'You will learn to be who you really are - a Luthor'."

They stayed in silence for a minute, but it felt more like an hour. Kara looked over Lena's body position and then to her hand. Slowly, she slid her own hand and placed it beside Lena's.
"I have another question."

"Go on."

"Why were you interested if I was dating someone or not?" Kara asked and gulped. Her eyes drifted down to Lena's hand, where she joined hers in Kara's; Their fingers intertwined. Lena hadn't answered. She had ruined everything.

As she looked up again, there was only a brief moment of vision before her eyes instinctively shut. A force pressed to her lips; A gentle, cold hand rested on Kara's cheek. Lena backed away, immediately looking for Kara's emotion. Kara was overwhelmed and when her eyes opened wide, she was met with a worried gaze.
"I'm- I'm so, so sorry." Lena brought the hand on Kara's cheek to cover her own mouth.
"I don't know what came over me-" she continued.

Everything made sense now. The little gazes, the embarrassed smiles, the questions, the holding hands. Kara loved Lena and now she knew that Lena loved her back. Kara tightened her grip of Lena's hand on the floor and leaned closer, resting their foreheads together. Lena removed the hand from her mouth to speak again, but Kara spoke first.

"I'm not sorry."

"What?" Lena was shocked and wanted to understand her. She pulled her head back and looked at Kara's now disappointed expression. Lena then unlinked their hands and laid on her back, thinking deeply. Kara shuffled closer.

In silence, Kara lifted herself over the raven haired girl and placed a hand at either side of her shoulder. She leaned down and softly kissed her.

Kara pulled back and looked at Lena with a small smile. The Luthor had a nervous, yet relieved expression.
"I think I'm in love with you, Lena Luthor."