Part 9

Marinette decided to sew her most recent project. It was 11 o'clock and she put on some piano music in the background. Her and Tikki talked quietly.
"Tikki..."
"Yes Marinette?"
"I-I feel like I don't even know Adrien anymore..."
Marinette sighed and continued. "It's just... after everything we've been through. After all we have worked to overcome. It just went away and he did too."
"Marinette. He may just be busy."
"But he was with that little brat Lila! Who knows what she's doing to him right now."

Meanwhile with Adrien...
"Cmon Adrien! Let's dance!"
"Lila I should probably get home. I didn't want to go to this stupid thing anyways. I only did it so your dad wouldn't—" she shushed him. "It's mine and Marinette's anniversary Lila."
"Who cares Adrien! You are here in the moment with me! You have been with Me in America for the whole school year and now you will go back to the girl you don't even talk to anymore?"
"Do not talk about Marinette that way."
"It's true isn't it? You two don't even talk to each other. Adrien... long distance relationships are very difficult."
"But... no... we are different Lila. Marinette and I always make it work."
"Not for long Adrien. Physical touch is so important in a relationship... you don't have that anymore."
"Ugh goodbye Lila" he stormed off to walk back to Marinette's house. A sinking feeling filled his gut.
What if Lila was right?
Adrien went to Marinette's house at 12 o'clock in the night. He decided to do something he hadn't done in a while. He went back into the alley next to her house.
"Plagg, Claws out!"
He went to her balcony and tapped on the trap door. He gave her a cute little smile and she slightly frowned which concerned him. But nevertheless She came up.
"Why up so late princess?"
She was silent as she put her elbows on the railing and stared off into the start night sky.
"Ok... why so quiet princess?"
After a bit she talked.
"You know... I can't do this anymore."
"Do what princess?"
"This!" She sighed as chat noir came and rested in the railing right next to her. She continued.
"I... i feel like I don't know you... we never see each other. I can't keep up with everything in your life Adrien. We are literally an ocean away."
Chat was silent.
"Was it about the photo Lila posted?"
"Well you were partying with that liar on our anniversary!"
"I didn't want to stay Marinette... her father made me take photos there and she knows that."
"Then why didn't you tell me that? You forgot it was our anniversary too!" She makes an annoyed sound. "I cannot do this anymore Chat!"
"But I love you Marinette."
"I love you too... but we never see each other anymore. We don't even have time to FaceTime. You are leaving tomorrow night and I probably won't even get to talk to your for another Two weeks."
"What are you saying?"
"I... i" she starts to tear up. "I think we need to split up Chat."
He tried to grab her hand and then he turns her to him  and looks her in the eyes.
"I can't lose you Marinette."
"It's the best for now though Chat..."
He gently let's go of her hands and starts tearful as well.
"But what about everything we've been through together? Everything we have achieved? All the secrets that we have that could have been ours to keep forever. Our childhood and how blind we were up until we had to leave each other. The amazing summer we had and all the love we shared? Was it worth nothing?"
"Adrien. This hurts me too. I was and still am in love with you but our situations don't work right now and we both need to be away from each other in the summer too. We are both so incredibly busy and We ... don't work right now."
They both stood in front of each other wiping tears from their eyes waiting for the other to say something.
"I guess this is goodbye for a little while Bugaboo"
He kissed her forehead and stood on the railing.
"I love you" he said as his voice broke when the came out of his mouth.
"Love you too kitty..."
He gave her a small smile as he whisked away on his baton feeling the Paris wind in his on his face as it gradually dried the tears as they came out of the corners of his eyes. He was breathing stagnantly and went to his childhood room and to his computer. He booked his flight for the early morning so he wouldn't have to bear to be near the love of his life that he couldn't have.
Marinette went to her bed and cried. It physically hurt her and she couldn't stop the crying. She couldn't stop her off - breathing and her pillow was soaked in her tears. I've made a terrible mistake. Why did I do that. I love him. She slowly drifted off into a sleep and told herself that tomorrow would be better. She would see him one more time before he left to go back to America and they would hug it out. She would get to feel his chest against hers again. But before she even got up in the morning he was already gone.