10. First Serve, Second Serve, Third Serve

When Oikawa stepped into the practice match, Hinata could all but feel the tension rolling off of Kageyama in waves, angry, angry waves.

Oikawa's first serve smacked straight into Tsukishima's elbow at an angle and flew off into the seating area's banister several metres in the air.

Hinata felt his own forearms sting in sympathy, but stood his ground and joined Kageyama in glaring at Oikawa as the third year got ready to serve again.

The second serve was no less vicious, spinning off to the side this time when it impacted with Tsukishima's arms again.

"Oi!" Hinata found himself yelling. "You! Great King! Aim at me! Over here, over here! Aim for me!"

Oikawa tilted his head slightly in confusion, wondering where the nickname had come from, and wondering who the short little firecracker was. Despite this he buckled down, aimed for the weak blond defender again and watched as the ball flew back to his side, ready for them to score and take this match as theirs.

Kindaichi was set up to score, to spike, it was perfect. And Oikawa still ended up gaping when the tiny redhead bolted to the side and jumped, flying into the air just in time for the volleyball to spin off of his fingers and fly into the Karasuno players.

"It's up!" Kageyama shouted, quickly getting ready into a toss formation.

Oikawa could do no more than watch in awe as the little wonder darted to the other side of the net, Kindaichi unable to keep up as the redhead jumped high again, intense eyes making direct contact with him as he slammed the ball down, barely missing Oikawa with the fast, powerful hit.

Oikawa was in love.

"I know what you're thinking, Oikawa," Iwaizumi said warningly. "Don't you da – "

"Oi!" Oikawa hollered, ducking under the net to disrupt the cheering Karasuno team. "Hello!"

Kageyama was the first to whip around, baring his teeth like a dog that needed to be muzzled, and the intriguing little figure ducked under Kageyama's elbow to eye him suspiciously.

"My name is Oikawa Tooru," Oikawa introduced himself cheerfully and proudly, sticking a hand out in front of Hinata's face. "You are?"

Hinata squinted at him suspiciously, aware of his entire team hovering behind him and Kageyama.

"H-Hinata Shouyou…" he replied, not daring to take Oikawa's hand.

"Shou-chan!" Oikawa said primly, grin wide. "Give me your number."

"Shittykawa!" Iwaizumi stormed across the court his face like thunder even as Tanaka grabbed Hinata by the elbow and pulled him backwards, face aggressive.

Hinata's eyes narrowed suspiciously but he suddenly lit up and he pushed forward, asking enthusiastically, "To talk about volleyball?"

Oikawa fumbled his words a moment at the bright look on Hinata's face before saying, "Sure!"

"Did you hear that Kageyama?!" Hinata gushed. "I'm going to learn volleyball from the Great King." And then he sprinted off towards Takeda in order to steal a pen, jogging back as he fumbled with the pen cap.

"Hinata-idiot – " Kageyama began, and was shut up by Hinata's intense look as the middle blocker repeated, "Volleyball."

Hinata reached out to snatch Oikawa's hand in his and messily scribbled his number on the calloused palm. He was about to recap the pen when a second hand was shoved in his face and he glanced up, surprised, to see Iwaizumi expectantly waiting.

"To talk," Iwaizumi began gruffly, "About volleyball."

And when Oikawa began giggling in the background, he was offered a swift punch to the ribs even as Hinata enthusiastically gave Iwaizumi his number as well.

On the way out of the gym, Daichi made sure to sling an arm around Hinata's shoulders and say, light-heartedly, "If you get any strange texts, let me know."

The look on Daichi's face was enough to make even Kageyama shiver.