Interlude 1

Alternate Universe 1: Track and Field

Before volleyball, there was the field. The burn of the four hundred, eight hundred, twelve hundred runs or longer, the breathless leap of the high jump, the grim determination needed to jump the last hurdle.

But Hinata was certain he would get into volleyball, even as he was competing in the long runs and high jump in Middle School.

It didn't quite go to plan, considering he won a scholarship - and weren't his parents ecstatic when he was scouted - because a recruiter for Shiratorizawa Academy happened to see him compete in the Under 16s category and take first place in three events.

And Hinata could never say no to his mother's expectant face.

Life found a way, however.

--

Hinata stretched slowly and exhaled, glancing around the gymnasium. Empty aside from himself and Goshiki, a classmate, and the high jump bar and mat, Hinata was ready.

"Are you sure it isn't too high, Hinata-kun?" Goshiki asked nervously, glancing from his position at the side of the jump mat between Hinata and the high bar.

"If I get this," Hinata began slowly, bouncing on the spot. "Then I know I can beat the record at next track meet and that's amazing! If I do well at the meet, the coach said he might consider letting me try out for volleyball so long as I can keep everything balanced. And then it'll be all 'fuwoah!' and 'swish!'"

"If you're sure...but you have to be quick, before Tendou-senpai or my coach comes looking for me!"

Hinata just grinned widely before taking a serious stance and Goshiki startled slightly, still unused to seeing his lighthearted, cheery friend become so solemn so soon.

Taking in a deep breath, Hinata closed his eyes for a moment. Then, exhaling heavily and opening his eyes, he darted forward in great steps, getting faster and faster as he approached the bar before bending his knees and jumping as fervently as he could, body arching so he would tilt over the bar head first.

He hit the mat on his back and immediately rolled to his knees.

The bar was steady and straight.

"All right!" Hinata shrieked, stumbling off of the mat to crash into Goshiki's side, shaking him fervently. "Goshiki-kun, Goshiki-kun, I did it!"

Goshiki stared open-mouthed up at the bar, even as he kept an arm around Hinata's shoulders to keep them both steady.

At only a hundred and sixty three centimetres, Hinata had cleared two hundred and eleven without breaking a sweat.

"Goshiki-kun," Hinata said, voice softer this time but no less joyous. "I did it."

And looking down at Hinata's red face, at his sparkling eyes and the trembling in his hands where they clutched at Goshiki's jersey, Goshiki did what he thought was best in that moment and kissed the excitement straight off of Hinata's face.

--

"Oooooh, Tsutomu is late!" Tendou sang, leaning into the first year's space. And, while Goshiki would normally (and angrily) shove him away, this time he just smiled up at his senior, a blush still faint on his cheeks.

"Hah?" Tendou tilted his head as Goshiki walked by with a spring to his step, and both his and the first year's attention was drawn to the doorway when a chipper voice called out,

"Have a good practice, Tsutomu!"

Goshiki's faint blush turned fire truck red as he whipped around to face a widely smiling Hinata who was peeking almost shyly around the doorway and, unable to help himself, he smiled back.

"I'll see you after practice, S-Shouyou!"

(Two weeks later and Hinata was proudly standing in the gymnasium reserved for volleyball, holding hands with a somewhat shy Goshiki and introducing himself to the team. There was no Hinata without volleyball, after all.)