16. Piercing

"Huh? Hinata?" Yamaguchi asked, watching as Hinata fumbled with his volleyball shirt, chest bare.

"Yeah, Yamaguchi-kun?"

"W-When did you get your ear pierced?"

"Hah?!" Kageyama questioned fiercely, whipping around with his shirt still half off, one arm in and one arm out.

Hinata flushed slightly, lifting an arm to hide his ear. Nishinoya immediately bounced in to grapple with Hinata, trying to trap his arms behind his back.

"Really, really?" Nishinoya laughed. "You dared to get your ear pierced?"

"Now, now, Nishinoya, don't hurt him," Daichi warned, watching them warily from the corner of his eye as he tied his laces.

"Natsu was too scared to get hers done even though she wanted it really bad, so I let them pierce my ear first so she could see it wasn't that painful!" Hinata protested, still trying to wriggle away from Nishinoya's death grip. "And it wasn't!"

"Could it get caught on anything during practice?" Sugawara asked anxiously, approaching the grappling pair so he could get a closer look.

"No, no! It's just a stud! And I liked it, so I kept it!" Hinata finally managed to wriggle free from Nishinoya, quickly climbing into his shirt.

"Well, come on, let us see it!" Tanaka butted in, seemingly excited.

Hinata nervously looked to the side, eyes darting between each of his teammates, each of them looking more and more interested than the last, aside from an indifferent Tsukishima and still bewildered and almost angry Kageyama.

Finally he lifted a hand to tuck his wayward hair behind his ear to show off the dark stud in the lobe of his ear, the stud barely any bigger than the head of a pin.

"It's really nice," Yamaguchi was the first to say, and all of the tension seemed to leak out of Hinata's limbs as he turned to smile at his fellow first year.

"Thank you, Yamaguchi!" and, before anyone else could catch him, Hinata was bounding out of the changing room.

("Hey, Yamaguchi," Tsukishima said later, after practice. "Do you – "

"Shut up, Tsukki," Yamaguchi replied quickly, a blush to his cheeks. Tsukishima grinned, almost maliciously.

"You do. That little shorty."

"Kei!" )