24. Accidents

Hinata crashed into the barrier, but his arms were lifted, the volleyball hit his arms and it soared straight into the middle where Kageyama was waiting to set.

Seconds later and Tanaka was roaring as the spike met ground, slinging an arm around Kageyama's shoulders and casting his eyes about for Hinata.

The moments ticked over and Hinata didn't emerge from the mess he'd made.

Tsukishima was the first to move, darting across the court even as Ukai fervently called for a time out.

As the opposing team traipsed away, Terushima stayed by the net to watch the spectacle, hand flexing and relaxing by his side as he waited for the result with bated breath.

Hinata scrambled out with a loud gasp, Tsukishima's hand steady on his shoulder. There was a small cut across his cheekbone, which Tsukishima smeared at with the thumb of his other hand, but Hinata was smiling brightly as he asked, "Did we score?"

"Tanaka-senpai got the spike," Yamaguchi reassured him as the gathered group shuffled as one towards the bench.

Futamata managed to coerce Terushima to the bench with a murmured, "You alright there?"

Terushima grinned, but it was slightly lopsided. "I'm just glad number ten is okay."

"Yeah, that was kind of a hard hit. Impressive reflexes though, nearly as good as mine."

"Alright, alright, calm down," Terushima laughed, ruffling his friends hair. "Hey, do you think they'll be as aggressive if I ask for his number rather than the glasses-girl's number?"

Futamata glanced across the court where the team was gathered protectively around Hinata, Tsukishima seemingly unaware of his hand still planted on Hinata's slim shoulder.

"I think they'd dispose of your body and call it an accident."

Terushima laughed again, but this time it was both boisterous and a little nervous.

"Might be worth it."