28. Leg Press

"Tsukishima looks a little shell-shocked today," Daichi remarked to Yamaguchi. "Is everything okay?"

"We had a Phys. Ed teacher off on paternity, so our groups combined," Yamaguchi said slowly eyes distant. "The girls were using the sports hall, so we guys went to the gym. Did you know that Hinata can leg press three hundred and twenty pounds? That's ten more pounds than Tsukishima can comfortably do reps of."

Daichi paused, eyes darting across the court and following Yamaguchi's gaze to Hinata who was practicing spikes with Kageyama.

Unbidden, his gaze dropped lower, to Hinata's exposed calves, an occasional flash of thigh as he leapt high, and he wondered how he hadn't noticed before that Hinata's legs were, for lack of a better word, ripped.

"What the hell," Daichi whispered and Yamaguchi nodded serenely and murmured without seeming to realise, "I bet he could crush a watermelon with those thighs."

"Yamaguchi," Daichi said, scandalised, but he couldn't say anything because he was as red as Yamaguchi had gone, the first year burying his head in his hands.

"Daichi, are you tormenting the first years?" Sugawara asked good naturedly as he dropped to a crouch next to the two of them and Daichi's quickfire, embarrassed response was, "Do you reckon Hinata could crush a watermelon with his thighs?"

All it ended in was three blushing volleyball players, one oblivious middle blocker and a dazed Tsukishima wandering the court in a state of confusion.

(The answer, if you were wondering, was yes. The only issue was, was that Hinata demonstrated this at the Tokyo Summer camp and Daichi was fairly certain it was only his killer poker-face that stopped him from having to beat Kuroo off with a stick. That, and Kenma's expression of absolute death aimed at his lecherous captain.)