Delving Deeper

~Sam

Positioned just outside of the worn down loft, cloudy grey eyes took in the hustle and bustle of various law enforcers and csi workers as they surveyed their surroundings. A group of Imperion Alphas stood by the window that had been broken up just enough to fit the slender nozzle of a sniper rifle, gesturing towards the cobwebbed glass and smudged surface while mumbling in low voices.

At his side, a neatly dressed, incredibly rare Imperion Alpha female stood, long nutmeg hair pulled back into a neat bun, a perfectly organized clipboard clutched to her blouse covered chest. Her narrowed eyes took in the scene as well, but with much more emotion than the General displayed himself. His assistant, Romera, wasn't known for her patience with matters involving humans, though really, Sam couldn't blame her. The woman had flown to Earth at the promise of an Omega mate in her preferred gender, which just so happened to be female, and while said partner had been delivered, fate was a cruel mistress. The human had displayed signs of extreme stress and anxiety, and had fought Romera tooth and nail, up until the very moment she'd taken her life in one final act of defiance. Of course, some human Omegas didn't quite take to their newfound lives, and forced bonds were common, especially within the initial trial period of their invasion. However, great lengths and bounds were taken to assure suicide was avoided, and Romera was looked to with great shame when their High Commander learned of her mates death. It wasn't enough that the poor woman had to deal with such hardship, she'd been demoted as well. The only saving grace? The fact that Romera had yet to pair bond with the dead Omega.

"As of this moment, we've located all the individual parts to a long range rifle, one obviously of the human variety." What Romera said was unsurprising. If the Imperion wanted to kill a human, they wouldn't do it with such underhanded tactics. "Subject is believed to have entered and exited using the service stairwell, where no cameras were mounted. Estimated time of arrival is unknown, but it is believed they departed anywhere from five to fifteen minutes after the Senator was eliminated. Administrators didn't arrive on site until twenty-five minutes past the actual shooting." Perfectly painted lips curled into a sneer of disdain as Romera spat the last bit of intel, clearly upset at how long a response had taken to locate the actual base of intent.

Twenty-five minutes after the shooting... He'd cornered the strange girl he'd been stalking, stuck to the shadows like some common Earth animal hunting for scraps. When he'd stepped from the County building after an impromptu meeting meant to deal with recent disappearances, Sam had been struck by some instinctive tingle that sent his feet moving in an unknown direction. Surrounded by the crowds of university kids and factory employees departing from work, he'd been lost to the motions, only coming to a halt when a bright flash of cooper caught his gaze.

She'd fitted in well enough, the auburn haired girl lost beneath clothing too loose for her frame, that stupid beanie covering her hair as if some protective cap. Delicate features were set into a face that resembled the fantastical pictures of what the humans called 'fairies', but the scowl across her lips was hardly light heartened. Regardless, something unusual attracted him to the girl, and he'd traced her footsteps for miles and miles, until the masses thinned and the opportunity to corner her came about. Many a time during his tracking, Sam tried to pause and figure out what the ever loving fuck he was doing. A General, dressed in mundane clothing, shadowing some nameless human girls footsteps as if she might offer him the answers to all the questions in the universe. And when he'd finally got her alone, caught her pale green eyes and listened to her sweet voice tickle his ears... Well, for a moment something had just clicked. Mine, an inner voice had said, possessive as only an Alpha was towards his Omega. After years and years of searching for the perfect mate, Sam had felt that brief moment of total elation, where he'd become complete, whole for the very first time...

But when his nose had filled with her scent, and their skin had brushed together, there was no spark of recognition. She was no Omega, though her smell was enticing beneath the stink of some human herb. The strange redhead was nothing but another Beta, one who had piked his beast, enough that he hunted her through the city into the slums, so far away from where one of his status belonged. He should've known better of course. It had been he who implemented the rigid structure meant to ensure every single Omega was fished out of hiding, and that they were paired with the best possible Alpha in return. There was no way one had managed to escape his grasp. So, he'd let her go, and now, nearly two hours later, he still remembered the expression in her eyes when his finger had thumbed across her wrist, and the delicious hitching of her breath when he'd growled her name. Delilah...

"Sir." Romera snapped beside him, and he found himself the victim of one of her infamous glowers. He arched an eyebrow in response, just a single inch upwards, and leveled her with a somewhat apologetic expression. She'd been speaking, he realized, and how rude of him, to drift off. Instead of waiting for a verbalized acknowledgement, she repeated herself, no doubt internally cursing him all the way. "CSI hasn't managed to find any fingerprints to help with identification, though footprints were located in a patch of dust near the lofts front door. Size seems to indicate a small male, or perhaps even a female. Oh," With an indelicate sniff, Romera breathed in the air, moldy and humid, aside from one small, almost inconsequential detail. "They reported a heavy smell of cannabis clinging to the air. Could quite possibly point in the direction of a human with permit to grow. We should check out the distributors."

With a shock of realization, Sam harshly smothered a threatening snarl, the entire world melting away. Around him, nervousness and fear stank up the room, every single worker stiffening on the spot and attempting to appear as small as physically possibly beneath the weight of his rage. Romera, the only one marginally close to touching his status as General, stilled entirely, fighting the urge to bolt from the livid presence of an undeniably dangerous Alpha. His bloodlust came and went fairly quickly though, such was the extent of his training, and in the place of anger, he felt a terrible sense of calm. "...Sir?" Romera's voice trembled as she spoke, no longer the self-assured bitch she'd acted moments ago.

"Tell the Administrators to question those closest to the Senator. I want records of his finance, an entire sweep through his home, and interviews with his staff, from the highest assistant, right down to the gods damned maids. From there... Fetch me the city surveyors and the human tech programmers. I want the entire layout of Imperion City Double Three, and electronic reporting of every wrist band created... And Romera? Do a sweep with the bots. Every female citizen is required to take a new blood test within the next twenty-fours hours. Should anyone not comply, force is authorized."

Despite the oddities he was spouting, Romera started to gleam. The prospect of a civilian protest always appealed to the woman, and nothing would place the supposedly obedient humans on edge more than a change in protocol, especially if it involved their females. "Yes, sir. Right away." The polished woman purred, her thinly veiled excitement leaving Sam with little doubt towards how quickly she'd take to his demands. Meanwhile, he had some steps to retrace, and a trail to sniff out. His mark might've outsmarted him the first time, but Sam wouldn't be deterred by some small, soft human female, least of all if she turned out to be everything his Alpha demanded...