Strands of Deception

Deviant was grumpy. Irritated. Irate. Annoyed... Inwardly, she listed off items from her 'word of the day' calendar, hoping it might calm her nerves. Ever since her freshman college professor had claimed her vocabulary to be 'barely above that of a pubescent child', she'd worked on expanding her conversational knowledge, and found it an exercise in patience, one that helped ease her thoughts. When the Imperion had first landed, she'd spent her nights stretched out next to a gun, dreading the decline in her rations, only remaining relaxed while reading through a dusty old thesaurus. 

At the moment, however, she couldn't clearly hear her own inner voice, not while the crotchety old fuck before her kept droning on and on about some nonsense... 

Earlier that morning, before dawn had even graced the sky with pale shafts of sunlight, she'd set out with a crew for their bi-monthly meeting with the other local rebellions. She usually tagged along, despite not really being a key decision maker for the team, finding the brief respite from their cluttered bunker refreshing. Usually.  They'd convene in some nondescript, dilapidated building, and discuss which regions and members of congress to target next. This occasion was no different, not really, but this time she'd garnered herself some unwanted attention. 

The smell of mildew clung to the short carpeting, and against the tacky white walls, water marks stained and distorted the once compact office space. They were grouped into the conference room, various rolling chairs and creaky metal stools gathered around a circular wood table. Important documents were strewn across the dark surface, along with cups boosting coffee (and likely other illicit substances), along with maps detailing the most recent graphing of the area. There was a hodge podge of men and women collected about, but at the current moment, only one heavily mustached asshat was speaking. Directly at her. 

"...And you decided to engage with the Alpha. By yourself. In an alleyway." The wrinkled man was quivering, reminding her of a pruned grape, his aged features twisted into displeasure. The very next statement he spat made more than a few on-lookers bristle, and from her secluded little corner, Deviant could see Jazz stiffen. "Aren't you an omega, for fucks sake? Why were you even allowed to go in with the damn team?!" He threw his arms up, making the soft faced secretary at his side flinch. But he wasn't done there, not by any means. "Your fucking face is plastered on posters all over New Dallas, and in the slums outside the city itself. Mercenaries are drooling at the price on your head, all too happy to come knocking on doors and sniff out members of the resistance. Had you been a beta, or even some dampened alpha, you never would've been targeted. But noooo, you just had to go and attract the eye of an Imperion Alpha. A god damn General!" He was angry, clearly, and to be honest, Deviant probably deserved it. What she didn't deserve, however, was his followup comment. "What, were you hoping to boost your status by bagging a high ranking member of the Imperion? Tired of such modest living?" The edge of his lip curled up in a sneer, disdain etched over his face. But by then, her own commander had heard enough. 

Jazz shoved from her chair, the metal legs screeching in protest. Gorgeously manicured hands were slammed down on the table, with enough force that the raving tyrant couldn't help but shoot her a startled glance. When his watery blue eyes met her blazing gaze, the man had the good sense to shy away. But Jazz wasn't content with his mild display of submission, not when she was the only true human alpha among the bunch, and he'd been an ass to an omega under her protection. It might've taken awhile for the dynamics to bleed through into typical human interactions, but since the Imperion had arrived, their very nature had begun to change. 

"I ordered her to participate in the mission. Me." A rumbling growl built from the dusky skinned woman's throat, and though she'd never really been sexually interested in females before, Deviant could certainly admire her commanders beauty in that moment. "So it sounds an awful lot as if you're challenging my decisions, Richard,  and surely you'd not make such a mistake..." The room grew silent, all eyes flitting between the standing pair. To her credit, Deviant managed not to smile with glee while the older man squirmed on the spot. The world had come so far from the norm, a white man of well standing being cowed by a young woman of various ethnic backgrounds... 

"...No, Jasmine, I would never do such a thing." Oh, ouch... The use of her given name was a big no-no, even among those who didn't know the woman well. But then again, the nervous man knew exactly what he was doing, trying to antagonize the alpha into a display of anger. Jazz didn't fall for it though, not such paltry efforts. The blonde merely arched a brow, and a dangerous smile crept over her lip-sticked mouth. Blood red today, another subtle tool of intimidation. 

"That's well, Richard, because I'd hate to answer your challenge right now, when we have other pressing matters to attend. Matters such as planning our next hit, and not insulting an innocent young girl." With that, Jazz turned her unwavering gaze over towards Deviant, and gave her a thoughtful once-over. It wasn't like she was causing a distraction, in yet another pair of loose, torn jeans and an over-sized Harry Potter sweater... The shoulder length pastel pink ringlets might draw attention, but that was about it. Still, Deviant knew well enough what was coming, and tensed her shoulders in response. Jazz noticed, because she had a keen eye for things, and the quickest flash of regret shone within her eyes. But then she was speaking, issuing the words Deviant knew were coming. "Why don't you take a walk, little fox?" Her normally firm tone was soft, showing everyone who her favorite was. That didn't soften the blow though. "See what you can find within this messy old building..." And that was it, dismissed without another thought. She'd not even been given the chance to defend herself, but then again, alpha tendencies ran deep, regardless of being human...