Chapter 8

Authors notes: Thank you, everyone, for your love and support. Please vote and comment.

Amy's POV:

"Amy, Let me show you your room," says James as he comes out of the room where he was talking to Kate.

I was able to hear some shouting as soon as the siblings locked themselves in the room for the chat. Then it quieted down. I didn't want to cause any misunderstanding between them. But right now I could really use a bed.

"Is everything okay?", I ask wondering what kind of agreement they have come to.

Kate walks in staring at me but she doesn't look mad anymore. James assures me everything is fine. I offer to pay for the stay but he denies it once again. He leads me to the closed room on the right and opens it. There is no better word to describe it, its a mess. There are clothes, takeout boxes, books, coffee mugs everywhere. James curses at the horror in front of us.

"What the f***, Kate?", he says absolutely frustrated with his sister.

"If you had given me a notice before you brought over your lady friend, I would have tried to clean up.", Kate says coolly.

"My house my rules", she added stubbornly.

"I can take the couch.", I offer. I don't want them to fight again.

Both of them agree and James heads back to work on the plumbing.

"So, I hear you are Ethan's ex-wife", Kate says. I can see she is curious and she tries to be cool about it. I can't help but wonder if Kate and Ethan have anything going on between them. Kate is beautiful and she could have any man she wants. And the thought of Ethan wanting Kate makes my stomach churn. I tell myself that I don't have any place in his life, except for the week for which he is paying me.

"Yes, it was three years ago", I say swallowing the heartache that comes everything I think about the divorce.

"Why?"

"Ethan never gave me a reason. I assume its something to with money", I try to answer her without bringing the word gold-digger. Even though I have been called a gold-digger so many times by his family, the media and even some random strangers, it still hurts.

"So, you are not after his money?", she asks mockingly. Truthfully, until I knew how hard it was to pay the bills and take care of someone, it was never about money. I truly loved Ethan. Now, after accepting his money I don't think I can say that it's not about money anymore. So, I remain silent and don't answer Kate's question.

"So, you are after his money after all. Not so innocent like few reporters claimed.", Kate says hateful.

If Ethan, who claimed he loved me and fought every member of his family to marry me, doesn't believe me. I don't think Kate will understand or believe me. All these talks about Ethan fill my eyes with fresh tears and I try very hard not to cry. I have cried enough for the day and don't want to cry anymore. I just want to lie down on the mattress and forget everything. Kate glares at me for a few more seconds hoping I would say something when I don't answer her, she stomps off to her bedroom and shuts it with a bang. I brush off a few stray tears that have escaped and lay on the couch hoping to get some sleep.

Kate POV

A hard knock on the door pulls me off my work. I look up to see James leaning on the door frame, his blazers gone and sleeves rolled up.

"The shower is fixed.", he says with a smile.

James has sacrificed 10 years of his life to take care of me. Though he assured me many times that he is happy, there was always a shadow in his eyes like he gave up on something, something very important to him. It's the Navy. He loved to be a Navy Seal and be a part of the covert operations. Losing our parents and giving up his dream, to take care of me, devastated him even though he doesn't let me see it.