Ant

Adam was just a few paces ahead of us and had gotten back onto his feet despite his ridiculous limp.

"Adam!"

He turned a looked at me before his eyes widened and he attempted to limp faster, as if avoiding me. Then I remembered. I sped up and caught up with him, Jordan still dangling in my arms.

"Ant! What is wrong with you?!" Adam tried scolding, but his voice wasn't quite back. "You can't just carry around the spawn of the devil like that." He whispered the last part as if even saying his name would bring about a curse.

I looked at Adam and then down at Jordan and couldn't help but tear up. This is what it felt like to be denied love. This is what Adam had gone through all those years of fighting with dad. I came to a complete halt and knelt to the ground, (Did he really just collapse because of the realization?) Adam stopping a bit ahead of me before I motioned for him to continue forward. Then he left. (Really?!)

I stayed there for a bit, kneeling on the ground with Jordan's body on my lap. I buried my face into his unconscious chest, tears pouring from my eyes. Soon he woke up. (Darn it Ant! You interrupted his beauty sleep!)

Bringing my face up to meet his gaze he crooned, "One more thing to explain to me, Ant," before softly kissing me and wiping my tears away.

I cracked a sad smile and replied, "How we got back to the portal is another thing you'll have to explain to me." I stood back up, still carrying him, and continued the way to Adam's house, his head nuzzled into the crook of my neck the whole time. (Aww.)