Chapter 3

The MIT reunion day had arrived and Tony was a total basket case. He couldn't wait to arrive with Pepper on his arm even if it was only for pretend. She had been on his mind heavily the last few weeks and he was glad she was going with him.

And weighing even deeper on his mind was seeing Rachel again after fifteen years.

What was it that she was going to tell him?

They were the only two women in the world to make themselves comfortable in his heart. He vowed to never put himself through that burden again and yet somehow Pepper was a constant on his mind. He needed to get a grip on his emotions but she was the one thing he desired more than anything else. He finished his drink and when he went down the stairs Pepper was waiting for him and he stopped dead in his tracks.

"Wow" was all he could say while he couldn't keep his eyes off of her.

She had on a black body con dress with a plunging neckline. And she had a drop necklace that fell between her breasts. It was very sexy and very unlike Pepper and her more conservative work style.

"Is it too much?" she asked.

"How come you don't dress like this for work?" he asked.

"Because that would be totally inappropriate"

"I wouldn't fire you" he said as he continued to eyeball her mercilessly.

"Tony we haven't even left yet can't you behave?"

"I'm trying but you're making it hard to do that" he said with a smile.

"And just to be clear Tony I am going as your date because you needed a date but this isn't a date. You and I are not-

"Sure we are. You're all dressed up and I'm wearing a tie" he said as he winked at her.

Pepper was going to argue but she knew it was falling on deaf ears. 

They got into the jet with Happy and settled into their seats. Tony reached into his pocket to make sure the envelope with the letters and pictures of him and Rachel were still there. He poured himself another drink and offered Pepper one.

"No thank you Tony. I will wait until we get there"

"Suit yourself" he said as he downed his drink.

After a few minutes Tony was fiddling in his seat and he reached over and grabbed Pepper's hand and was kind of caressing it softly. Pepper felt paralyzed and confused. She didn't know what he was up to.

"Thank you for coming with me" he said.

"You're welcome" she said as she smiled at him.

"Are you two a thing now or something?" Happy asked.

"What? "Tony asked at the same time that Pepper said no.

"So you guys just hold hands sometimes?" Happy asked.

They pulled their hands away immediately.

"Pepper agreed to come with me since tonight is a difficult night for me and I was just taking her hand thanking her for the gesture" Tony explained.

"Tony since when is a party a difficult night for you?" Happy asked.

"I'm going to tell you but you make one snide remark or joke or comment and I will excommunicate you from my inner circle and demote you" Tony threatened.

"I wouldn't dream of it boss" Happy said.

"I'm meeting someone from my past after the reunion" Tony said.