Chapter 1: New School night

Chapter One: New School Night

Hermione breathed in the familiar smell of the Hogwarts Express. She was finally in her last year, but that meant NEWTs year too.  This year was going to be different, very different. She had set herself two goals for the year. One: Pass NEWTS. Two: Don’t be too stressed with NEWTS and spend more time with Ron and Harry. She was so stressed with OWLs; she hardly spent time with them. This year was going to be different.

“Oh look! It’s that dirty mudblood.”

Hermione whipped around. Draco Malfoy stood there, his face in his usual smirk with Pansy Parkinson clutching his arm.

“And look, it’s the twitchy little ferret ,” she replied coolly.

Malfoy’s smirking face contorted in rage, he tried to reply, but Pansy answered for him instead.

“How dare you call Draco a ferret! He is a handsome boy!”

“Oh really? I always thought he was a ferret. Ferrets are supposed to be wimpy aren’t they?”

Someone behind Hermione roared with laughter. She turned around to see Dean and Ginny. Dean was holding onto Ginny’s arm for support, as he was laughing really hard.

“Ginny! Dean! It’s nice see you guy again! Where are Harry and Ron?”

“They’re looking for a compartment. They’ll be out soon.”

Sure enough, the minute Ginny finished her last word, Harry and Ron appeared next to Hermione. She squealed with delight, and gave them humungous hugs.

“Let them breathe Hermione. Harry’s turning purple!”

They all laughed at Harry’s purple face before turning back towards Malfoy, whom they had forgotten about for the past five minutes.

“Goodbye ferret!” they chorused together.

(*)

 The delicious smell of the welcoming feast food wafted into Harry’s nostrils as he walked past the kitchens. His favourite part of Hogwarts were the delicious feasts. He loved the shepherd’s pie and the wonderful treacle tart. 

“Come on Harry, stop daydreaming!”

Hermione pulled Harry’s arm, and they went into the Great Hall together. Ron had run of to meet Lavender.  Sitting near the end of the Gryffindor table, they faced the front where Professor McGonagall was placing the Sorting Hat onto the first little first year.

Harry’s eyes scanned across the staff table. A new head was visible between the familiar faces. Though she was new, she was familiar, very familiar.

“Narcissa Malfoy’s the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher!” he said through gritted teeth.

“I bet it’s going to be just the Dark Arts in her lessons,” Hermione answered back angrily. “What was Dumbledore thinking? Making her DADA teacher.”

“He must be getting too old.”

Dumbledore stood up and had his usual odd speech, before hundreds of delicious food appeared on the plates.

When everyone had devoured the delicious food, Dumbledore stood up.

“Welcome back to the old students and welcome first years to Hogwarts. First years are warned that the forest outside the grounds is forbidden, unless you wish to meet some violent creatures.”  Dumbledore’s stunningly blue eyes twinkled as he went on with the rules. “Finally let us all warmly welcome back Professor Lupin whom will be taking Defence Against the Dark Arts.” 

Harry had been so absorbed in seething over the fact that Narcissa Malfoy was a Hogwarts professor that he hadn’t even realised Remus Lupin was sitting a few chairs down from her. Question marks erupted in Harry’s head. What was Narcissa Malfoy doing here then? But it was answered shortly by Professor Dumbledore. 

“And let us welcome Professor Malfoy whom will be taking over potions.” 

It hit Harry, Snape was banished from Hogwarts last year when he had attempted to kill Dumbledore last year, of course there needed to be a new potions teacher. Harry’s eyes wandered to the Slytherin table, and was very surprised to see Malfoy very sulky. 

Before he even could register it happening, Dumbledore had waved them of back to their dormitories. He was going to follow the line of Gryffindors when Dumbledore’s voice boomed over the chatter. 

“Could all prefects, the head boy and girl and Harry Potter stay behind.”

Hermione and Harry both halted and walked towards the staff table. 

“Now, as you know, Voldemort is once more on the loose, and Hogwarts could be in danger any minute. We need you to patrol around the school each night; but we have the timetable of where and when you guys will patrol.”

Dumbledore handed around sheets of parchment.

“Now off you trot prefects, Mr. Potter and the heads please follow me.”

Naturally, Hermione had been appointed as Head Girl. So waving a sad goodbye to Ron, Hermione, Harry and Ernie McMillan - who was the Head Boy - followed Dumbledore into a small hallway with many portraits.  

“As you register, Mr. Potter you will need every precaution so this year your dormitory will be behind Jacques the Jumping Juggler, and Miss Granger, Mr. McMillan, you are responsible for helping Mr. Potter if he is in trouble and you would be responsible for every thing that happens to him. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes sir, but what are all the other portraits for?”

“Ah, you see, if any death eater or Voldemort himself ever manages to get into the castle, he or she would have some trouble finding Mr. Potter in this. So other professors or myself would have time to come to your aid. “

 Harry gave a loud yawn, and Dumbledore smiled at him.

“Yes, you would be very tired after a long day. The password is Banglo Balomi.” 

The three clambered into the chamber behind Jacques the Jumping Juggler and gasped. It was a splendid place. People would have given anything to live in a haven like this. There were comfortable armchairs and couches, with bookcases filled with books all around the walls (Harry saw Hermione’s eyes almost pop out of its sockets), and the room was warm with the blazing fire. The curtains were a soft material of white. There were three doors. One said Hermione Granger, one said Harry Potter and the last said Ernie McMillan. Murmuring goodnight, they trooped into their rooms.

Harry was so sleepy he didn’t even look around, but fell on his bed and went into his dreams

_________________________________________________________________

I was looking through all my old stuff and I found this old Harry Potter fanfic that I'd written years ago. I recieved some pretty good feedback on the HarryPotterFanfiction website so hopefully you all Wattpad readers think so too! :P So I've decided to edit it slightly and see how it is :-)