Chapter 18: Graduation

“I can’t believe it, I really can’t believe it,” Hermione started crying.

“What the hell Hermione? Why the hell are you crying because you’re leaving school? At least you don’t need to stay behind for another year,” Ron said.

“I just can’t believe we are actually leaving Hogwarts,” Hermione sobbed.

“Oh get a grip Hermione. Stop crying for goodness sake.”

“Ahem, I don’t appreciate you speaking to my girlfriend like that Ron. Please stop,” Harry said in a very proper manner just like Umbridge which cause all three of them to burst out laughing.

“Come on Harry, we need to practise our speeches still,” Hermione said suddenly serious. “It’s very important.”

“Oh come on Hermione!” Harry whined. “We’ve practised that bloody speech at least a thousand times!”

“Practise makes perfect.”

“Exactly, and you’ve practised it a thousand times so it is perfect,” Ron said as though obvious. “Now come, you two should enjoy what you can of Hogwarts before it’s too late.”

“Fine, whatever,” Hermione grumbled.

(*)

“Now everyone please welcome our Head Girl!” McGonagall called over the cheers after Ernie’s speech.

Hermione stood up and cheers erupted from the Gryffindor graduates.

“I remember the first time I found out I was witch. I screamed,” several people laughed.  “Yep! I couldn’t believe it, but after a few short days, I had read all of my textbooks and another few days allowed me to memorise them.” People who knew Hermione well let out exasperated laughs. “On the first few weeks I had no friends. Not a single one; but then I got two of the best friends I could ever have. Harry Potter and Ron Weasley. After seven years with them and magical classes I think I am finally ready to face the big world. Of course I will always always always remember everything about this wonderful school. Thank you.”

The cheers began again as Hermione went off the podium and sat down. The great hall was deafening when McGonagall called on Harry.

“Hi everyone. I came back this year with a very big fear- Voldemort. Well actually I didn’t fear him, I was just depressed that the demented son of a bitch still hadn’t died.” Everyone laughed while teachers gave disapproving looks. “But I stood up against him and finally the idiot died and the world has peace. But I would not have gone through everything this year, both school work and the Voldemort problem without my two best friends Ron and Hermione.” Everyone applauded and Hermione and Ron went red. “ So I would just like to say that even though you’re leaving school, you will never be leaving behind your best friends. Thanks. “ Harry sat down as everyone cheered and whistled. When finally the noise had died down, McGonagall stood up.

“Could we please now applaud for Mr Draco Malfoy.”

“What the hell? Why is he doing a speech?” Harry and Hermione asked at the same time.

“At the start of the year, I expected it to be the same kind of year just as it had been for the other six years it has been at Hogwarts with me. Yeah, all of you know as the great, big bullying got who’s pushed everyone around for years, but then you might’ve all noticed this year that I changed half-way through the year. That’s because of a girl I dated and I fell in love with her, so I decided to change for her. In the past six years we were never friends, enemies if you had to say, but I only noticed this year how wonderful she was and I really wanted to be her friend- I got to. Then things lead to another and we were boyfriend and girlfriend, but then a small misunderstanding happened and she was heartbroken. Her heartbroken-ness led me to have the worst pain in my heart, I really want her to hear me out, but I think I really lost my chance. Even so, I want this girl who stole my heart to know that I will always love her. Always from even when I leave this school, always.”